Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling to NZ & Oz

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would make a quick OT post to let everyone know I've booked flights to New Zealand and Australia for the end of March!!! I'm going traveling with my girlfriend for just under 3 months!!! :cool:

And before anyone says it, no I'm not following Brendan!! lol

Although if you're around Brendan and want to meet up for some BarBQ action :D

We're heading to New Zealand first for just over 2 weeks then onto Sydney and making our way up the East Coast finishing in Cairns. I'm going to be taking a laptop and sorting out an internet connection whilst I'm away so just before you start thinking you've got rid of me... I'm sorry to say you haven't!!
  2. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Dayum! Jealous? Yes, yes I am. I need to go travelling at some point.
  3. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Dude that will be awesome, Definately let me know whats going on via facebook or possibly on here/emails and hopefully we can meet up! my misses is coming with me as well so they can talk shoes and we can draw kangaroos!

Ill pm you my contact details incase you need :)
  4. Gaz

Gaz Member

Have fun Greg, will miss your flirty ways with me. haha

Just want to embarass yuo don't get excited.

Seriously though watch your step, enjoy it pal.
  5. New Zealand is lovely :) (was there for long enough to see most of it LOL)

If you have the chance definetely do the following in New Zealand:

Bay of Islands - North Island
    Very pretty place, lovely beaches, great bars, can do alot of water sports and stuff like that.

Auckland - North Island
    Only go to it if you want to see a city like Birmingham or Reading then do so.... it does have some interesting things but primarily its just a big town.

Napier - North Island
    Very pretty town on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. Is completely Art Deco so its just amazingly retro. Loads of old buildings, vineyards and scenery.

Wellington - Norh Island
    Lovely city, great waterfront, can be very windy and misty, so if you fly in / out of there, keep an eye on it (I was stuck there for a week due to fog LOL). Also if you want to visit Hobbiton from Lord of The Rings then it is in Lower Hutt which is just north of Wellington.

Marlborough - South Island
    Lovely place, very spread out (you will need a car :)) loads of vineyards and lovely little relaxed places.

Christchurch - South Island
    Has trams and a few other things like that :) Great place to stop if you are going to Queenstown (for Snowboarding / Skiing) or going further south.

Milford Sound - South Island
    The greatest place to go to in my opinion.. If you liked the scene in the first Lord of the Rings film when they were rowing along a river, that is the area where it was filmed.. utter aweinspiring :)

Invercargil - South Island
    Very southern tip of the South Island :) interesting as it is a majority of scottish heritage and it is famous for the worlds fastest indian (Burt Munroe - look him up on Wikipedia if you don't know who he is) he has a museum down there and it is worth a visit.

Thats just the few things I can remember off the top of my head :)
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

Haha excellent! I'll pass that message on :D
    Replying to PM now.. first DF meetup is in Sydney guys!! :p

I told you that was strictly by PM, things will never be the same now :(
    Lol cheers Gaz!

Excellent, thanks for that Chris, we've been researching a fair bit and most of the ones you mentioned have come up on our lists which is good to know. Kind of wishing we had more time in NZ now as the more we look into it, the more things we want to do! Unfortunately got car hire booked to pick up in Auckland & return in Auckland, so getting right down to Queenstown could be a push time wise... might try and change the car hire drop off and get an internal flight back up to Auckland though, as would love to see Mitre Peak/Milford Sound area and Franz Josef Glacier...

7. The Glacier is amazing mate and well worth looking at if you get the chance..

yeah driving might be a bit hard to get to the south island from auckland in that time.. i drove from Auckland to Christchurch ... took 3 days (all up driving) due to the awful roads they have there... the only motorways are in and around Auckland and just outside Wellington ... other than that you see the odd dual carriageway... but mostly just single lane roads...

On the way out of Auckland (past Hamilton working your way to Rotorua (on lake Rotorua, also worth going to) is Tirau .. which is a place also worth seeing.. only because it has a massive amount of corrugated iron.. all the signs are made from it and it has a tourist centre which is a giant corrugated iron sheep.. Also has a giant corrugated iron castle built near there LOL

Before you get to there though there is another place worth seeing.. the Maori King's place at Karapiro is nice .. its on a lake (called Lake Karapiro funnily enough) and its rather impressive.. loads of Maori stuff to see and do there... though there is more Maori stuff to do in Rotorua and Taupo.
  8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool thanks Chris... more things to add to the ever growing lists! :D
    Called Qantas to see if there was any way of changing our middle flight (Auckland > Sydney) but they haven't got any availability on other flights from down South to Sydney at that time :(
  9. That sucks mate...

Both ways from Auckland i flew through LA... not recommended in any way :evil: LAX is utterly insane!! LOL
  10. Greg

Greg Active Member

We're going the other way... London to Frankurt to Singapore to Sydney to Auckland, then on return in June it's Cairns to Sydney to Singapore to London... some nice long flights there! :blink:
  11. hell yeah :) took me about 26 hours I think (stopping in LAX for an hour or so) each time... very hard flights... plus alot changed at Heathrow when i returned LOL (well it had been 5 years LOL)
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah that's the only bit I'm not looking forward to, but I'm sure with the huge selection of 'oon-demand' films that Qantas has it will go by quite quickly. We're flying from T5! Might pop into Gordon Ramsay's for a bite on the way out :p (judging by all the bad press T5 got... we won't be flying anywhere so may as well enjoy some nice food!)
  13. LOL oh yeah Terminal 5... fun fun fun LOL
  14. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

come on newbies check the damn post date, this one was from back in 09. If you're going to troll through all the threads think about it, the further you go the older and more irrelevant they are

EDIT: just realized its spam, reported