Total Newcomer to Logo Design

So I noticed that while you can find great posts/articles on the logo design process, there's not much out there for the absolute beginner. How do I get started in creating logos that don't look like stock vectors thrown together with arial fonts? (that's a little crude for an example, but you see my point.)

Please help. :confused:

It helps if you have a client/purpose for your logo... I've been told that it all starts with the right font ;)

Pick up a pen & paper, and start sketching!
Just start drawing lots & lots of rough ideas, and slowly but surely you'll start to see the stronger ideas communicating better than others, there's no guides out there as there are literally too many possibilities!

Think about the client you're designing for and think of what they want to get across, think of ways to communicate their message to potential clients.

well TBH i agree with onartis... come up with some fake clients or just a personal project or something... and get in the mindframe of the customer. it'll make you think logically and you'll eventually find the resources through photoshop, indesign, fireworks, whatever, to get good.

i'm not AMAZING (i like br3n's work - am aiming to be like him!), but i know how to create a good logo, background... whatever :D

Ya i don't have a whole lot of experience in logo design but from what i've heard from other designers and just what i've seen is that you must think in the mind of the client. It isn't about what you think looks good, it is about what the client will think looks good and will represent their company appropriately.

Like onartis said, the font is the biggie because a logo is primarily font, very little design goes into it except for typography design. Maybe an image that represents something but the main focus is the name so it has to be appealing and appropriate for the company.

once again Berry appears with a brilliant link.

You'll know be known (by me if no-one else), as knowledge fountain. :D

tim-ater said:
once again Berry appears with a brilliant link.

You'll know be known (by me if no-one else), as knowledge fountain. :D

You don't survive 30 years in this business unless your..... A. clever and absorb anything. B. know how to dance. C.Related to God.;)

Berry said:
You don't survive 30 years in this business unless your..... A. clever and absorb anything. B. know how to dance. C.Related to God.;)

I have a mental image of you getting down like the bloke on your avatar Berry! :lol:

VertigoSFX said:
Ya i don't have a whole lot of experience in logo design but from what i've heard from other designers and just what i've seen is that you must think in the mind of the client. It isn't about what you think looks good, it is about what the client will think looks good and will represent their company appropriately.

Like onartis said, the font is the biggie because a logo is primarily font, very little design goes into it except for typography design. Maybe an image that represents something but the main focus is the name so it has to be appealing and appropriate for the company.

I agree to an extent with VertigoSFX but the reason the client is hiring you is hopefully because they like your creative work and want a bit of that in there logo. So yes, it is what the client wants, to an extent, but if they are reasonable and hired you for your skills and creativity then they should be willing to give you a say in what 'looks good'.

After all, if you are confident in your design skills and it's your job then most of the time you are going to know what looks best design-wise, and should be able to convince your client that what you have spent hours sketching/brainstorming/researching/designing is what would be best for their company.

I'm definitely not saying that you should disregard what the client wants and their ideas about what their company stands for, after all it is their company! But I feel there should be a mutual understanding there that you are the creative and therefore might know what works/looks good.

What do you guys think?

I think your right generic...I just figure that as you mentioned if they are hiring you, they know your creative ability so they assume that you will be able to deliver that creativity so it is your job to simply design something that will be what they want. And to you personally it may not be great, because I know for most of us everything prior to our latest design looks bad so you just gotta make sure that you aren't trying to (for lack of a better phrase) "one-up" your past design.

I'm a part-time web designer while going to school for graphic design and there have been times (many times actually) where i've tried to let my creativity run wild just to take a chance and every single time i've come to regret it because the client either 1) thinks it looks like crap (because they like designs from 10 years ago) or 2) it is just too much for them.

So you really gotta get a good read on your client to see what kind of client they are and from then on you can judge how much creativity should be invested into the project.

Back