Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To keep or not to keep iMac? buying a MBP 15" anyway.

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by ColeUK, May 26, 2010.

1. ColeUK

ColeUK Junior Member

Hey guys, just want your thoughts on what setup to have?

I am going to be buying a MacBook Pro as I need to update my Vaio that is pretty much useless. And as I fly out of the country a lot I want to take my work with me.

I am looking to buy a MBP 15"/ i7 /2.66ghz/ 500gb HD and 512GB graphics. I currently have a top end glossy iMac 24" which is a year old .

the 2 questions are:

1.) Should I sell the iMac and get a Cinema Display to hook the MBP to when at home? (bearing in mind the MBP will have to do all the work?)
    Keep the iMac as well as having a MBP? fail to gain any money from the sale of the iMac but instead have a fully functional home computer as well as 1TB HD at my disposal for future backups etc...? the only problem will be how pedantic I am in wanting to sync and transfer files from each!?

2.) Should I purchase the Glossy or Matte screen for the MBP?
    - Does anyone have experience and/or preference? I know the Glossy Vs. Matte is a long running debate, but nevertheless the more I look into it the harder the choice is for me! (Will be going back to another Apple Store to look over them again though).

I am a frequent visitor of but would love to hear what some of you guys in the design trade think?
  2. I personally prefer the Matte screen for the MBP but thats just me :)

As for the iMac.. i'd sell that and get a Cinema Display :) unless you use the iMac for anything specific (like family machine etc).
  3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Personally I always like to have a spare pc (would be the same with a mac too) just in case one fails so I say keep the imac - my work is backed a nas while I'm working so as long as I have the software installed (or can install it quickly) I'm good to go.
  4. ColeUK

ColeUK Junior Member

Well I just purchased extended Apple Care on iMac for another 2 years as well, so keeping the iMac is probably best for now, I can always make adjustments down the road. The most important thing is getting a new laptop for when I am on the move, just need to decide on the screen! grrr!