Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To critique or not...?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Katedesign, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

This is a favourite near me... it was a chinese.

Attached Files:

2. Mmmmm chips and curry sauce!
  3. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

I kind of like it :)
  4. Artyfart

Artyfart Member

Critique.....Don't eat there! Cat anyone?
  5. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

+1 for ingenuity.
  6. Artyfart

Artyfart Member

Well we're all in this together and we're meant to be tightening our belts! :eek:P
  7. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

I also kinda like it. The irony is IF they had paid an advertising / graphics studio to do this it would probably be called near genius.
  8. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

Yes I was actually going to say if this was in east London people would be raving about its genius!
  9. Ha, I thought the same thing. That said, I see the genius in it now!
  10. Damn, you SW types have got us figured!
  11. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I recon it could only be called genius if the branding was carried throughout the business.
  12. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

13. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Sadly - there is only a brick wall there now. But, good news, they have their name on their in Copperplate, another sign (just saying Indian & Bangladeshi food) in yet another typeface and the menus have a completely different font for the name - very modern and sophisticated!! Over-excited or what!! paradise.jpg
  14. Potential new client?
  15. Ayka

Ayka Member

Most takeaways have the same look (garish, haha) so to me that sign communicates pretty clearly what the establishment is. Not saying it's good design, just that it does what it says on the tin iyswim. If cheap takeaways had elegant signs would that actually make sense? Know your audience and all that.
  16. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Exactly; a cheap takeaway is a cheap takeaway, they have no need for a 'brand'.
  17. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

I disagree. What about the need to establish their cheap takeaway, as the best cheap takeaway?
  18. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

They normally just add "The BEST takeaway in..." to the sign and have done with it :)
  19. daytona

daytona Member

I always find these type of situations really interesting. The gut reaction as a designer - for me at least- is "oh my god, this place needs a rebrand *pulls out sketchbook* and this takeaway could be the best in the country!". Then I remember that the food probably sucks and so a shiny new rebrand might work for a few weeks until the newness wears off and the food is the same.

Really it comes down to semiotics, It reminds me of a suit shop just off brick lane.
    Again at first you think it needs an overhaul, but when you take a minute and think, does this look like the kind of place you would get a really cheap suit? you have to admit the answer is yes. And when I spoke to a friend who lives locally he said the shops looked like that for over a decade, so i guess it works for them.
  20. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Lets be honest, this kind of place hates spending money on anything so brand is never going to happen. Besides, they usually have a 3rd cousins, sons, wifes, uncle in Bradford whos got a printing press in the garage and a stock pile of yellow, red and metalic gold ink.