tips on image quality

jordan bryce

Hey everyone.

looking for some tips on how to save images properly so that im getting the best quality when i upload them online. when i create something on Photoshop i save my images as JPEG, and my photo resolution is usually the default from PS. my images always look blurry and low quality when posted online and i want to know where im going wrong. should i be saving in a different format or should i look into the photo resolution.

thanks in advance.

Try PNG format for better quality. Also, try using a resolution like 144p rather than the default 72p when you create and/or export these images. This should give you a better resolution image without too much of a filesize increase. Essentially it's a retina image.

Some sites just have bad compression to save space, and often make JPG look even worse.Using PNG might be all you need for better quality.

I agree with Paul, PNGs are the best way to keep quality high and file size low. keep an eye on your dpi too, but remember whenever an image is posted online it converts to 72dpi right away as this is the only way html can handle images.

It could be just that you are using small size document hence it comes blurry even though you might be using the default setting. Try opening a document with higher pixel and give higher resolution 72dpi or higher and save as PNG format for better quality.

also dependent on what you are viewing the images on. If it is a higher pixel density screen (such as an iphone 6 / 7 ).

If you are adding to your own site look into html image sets.

what are the dimensions of the image when you save it vs when you view it online?

If you save an image at 200x200px then upload it to a site which resizes it to 400x400 you're essentially halving your resolution.

Hey everyone.

looking for some tips on how to save images properly so that im getting the best quality when i upload them online. when i create something on Photoshop i save my images as JPEG, and my photo resolution is usually the default from PS. my images always look blurry and low quality when posted online and i want to know where im going wrong. should i be saving in a different format or should i look into the photo resolution.

thanks in advance.

For better visibility of the images, I would suggest first check for the type of image and resolution required in the platform where you are looking to upload the image. And from JPEG and PNG, I would suggest to go for JPEG.

I agree with the comments above. PNG format avoids many problems. And maybe you should try another photo editor?

Back