Time for Change?

seismik

..our little Nottingham graphics studio needs some advice...

We are thinking about a possible name change... (from "Seismik"). What are your HONEST thoughts on the current name? We have been going about 5 years and our url is www.seismik.co.uk . Some reasons to change ... hard to spell/say. Is it possibly a little bit too "try hard" a style of name? (the 'k' in seismik was there due to seismic.co.uk being already taken)

Anyways any views positive or negative would be very welcome..
Like/dislike we really really want to hear your views as the more people that we ask the more informed a decision it will be to keep or not.

Thanks!

Simon

I would make the change. It's critical that spelling is intuitive. You don't want to frustrate your client, or worse - for them to accidently visit an alternative supplier online.

Not to mention spelling in online testimonials, cheques, etc.

We print white label for a lot of design houses - several have very similar problems that they are / have addressed. Go for it now and as you are doing - test alternatives with friends / relations.

I agree with Peter

Our business is "Stationery Direct" and we have had problems from something as small as spelling Stationery with an "a" e.g. Stationary, your customers need to be able to find you so make it easy for them.

From a SEO point of view, it would also make sense to have a related keyword in your company name.

Why not post your shortlist of names on this board and get some impartial feedback?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The key question for me would be: how strong is my brand right now (in terms of recognition and relationships) and, following that, what are my real reasons for considering change in the first place? There are points already raised about intuitiveness, etc., but does this actually make a significant difference (or can I actually make a significant, positive change) by effectively relaunching (an analysis of what you might be losing would also help here)? If your business is taking you where you want to be then is there a genune, compelling reason to change?

My company name isn't going be stumbled upon by anyone looking for design services from scratch (I use my surname, which is routinely misspelt anyway) but my business is built on recommendation which works fine for me; I'd say that who you are and what you do is far more significant than what you're called.

From a SEO point of view, it would also make sense to have a related keyword in your company name.

Why not post your shortlist of names on this board and get some impartial feedback?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I totally agree, when it comes to a domain name it doesn't have to be the company name and from a SEO point of view you would be better having something like nottinghamgraphicdesigners.com or whatever best suites you

Another thing I noticed was that your current logo has the registered mark on it, I'm guessing that it's not a registered TM though, am I right?

Back