Thunderbird stamps are Go!

berry

Royal Mail is honouring the work of puppeteer Gerry Anderson with a new set of special ‘motion stamps’ issued today.

Anderson created the characters from cult TV programmes such as Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray. The stamps were created by GBH with a process that fused film-making, editing and post production techniques with graphic design,” say GBH.

”Sequences were meticulously trialled from the original master 35mm print at ITV, and the final frames were carefully selected, exported to HD quality, digitally re-mastered and then re-edited back into an all-new 36 frames sequence, for use in the complex micro-lenticular process.”

The lenticular stamps are joined by a Royal Mail Special Stamp Issue of six landscape stamps featuring all of Gerry Anderson’s Supermarionation TV shows from the 1960s: Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Captain Scarlet and Joe 90

Whatever you do, put the franking machine away buy some stamps this month!!!

Attachments

• screen_shot_20101114_at_19.24.38_copy_0.jpg
    screen_shot_20101114_at_19.24.38_copy_0.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
Oh boy, now your talking.
Back in the early '90's I worked at a licensing company doon south.
We produce loads of Captain Scarlet. Thunderbirds and Stingray goodies.....I loved it!
I buy a set of these bad boys....even Joe 90.

saw an article on this today, definitely will be buying these. Mind you haven't seen prices yet, I'm thinking a good few bob

The man himself was on the radio the other morning. He said how he originally wanted to make action movies and got offered thunderbirds... And when they said it would be made using puppets he said his heart sank!

Obviously he has since been pleased he did it, and announced on the spot that he is producing a new series of Thunderbirds with new vehicles and locations.

When asked if it'll be different to the original he said "it'll have the same charm, but the vehicles and location will be different" and I THINK he said it wouldn't use puppets... But I was half asleep so don't quote me on that part.

I have both seasons of the new Captain Scarlet....I like it.
I'd be happy with a Thunderbirds version. It was quite dark.

Ever seen the Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet stage show?...it was class.
Captain Black says 'Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn' the shoots him...again.

Oh dear. You know, if they ever made a live action Cpt Scarlet, I reckon they should use the other bloke on TV that can't die. John Barrowman. He could look quite like Scarlet.

Worried I actually remember all but one of those series from when I was a kid lol

Cpt Scarlet wasn't too bad actually, I watched it more for the cg than the plot as it was using the same technology (motion capture) that was used in avatar (it was ground breaking :rolleyes:) and other films like final fantasy. The first few episodes were a bit ropey in the cg department but they did improve as they went on.

As to thunderbirds, wouldn't mind seeing a 'next generation' version or a darker version although I suspect it will be a battlestar galactica style remake (ie same basic plot, different look) in cgi.

Levi, CG in the original Captain Scarlet....hell no...it was high tech to make his bottom lip move.

You are talking about the new Captain Scarlet. The stamps show the classic original.

If you want CG cartoons, go find ReBoot! Now there was a programme ahead of it's time... lol.

Typo said:
Levi, CG in the original Captain Scarlet....hell no...it was high tech to make his bottom lip move.

You are talking about the new Captain Scarlet. The stamps show the classic original.

I've seen both and yeah I did miss out new in the last post :(

Back