Thinking of a name...

Elekate

During the holiday I am hoping to finish or at least make a good start on creating a site portfolio and I want to think of a name for myself.

I wanted the letters "K" and "H" somewhere within it, as they are my initials. Sorry to ask but I am really stumped :confused:

Thanks Guys! :)

I was thinking of this myself, but thought asking others opinions gives way to someone buying the domain (has happened many times before :( ) and wasnt sure whether to ask.

well lets say someone suggests you get "kreativedesign.com" and someone reads it before you, then buys it, you cant get it now.... or have to pay inflated prices

Levi said:
Berry iirc Elekate is called Kate so I would assume initials

Thanks Levi.

...so...... what is important about initials?

or it just the obvious starting point? And is it really the best point, and does it really matter, or does it cloud the thinking?

I'm always very interested in the beginning of things, as it shapes the way to come.

Berry said:
...so...... what is important about initials?

or it just the obvious starting point? And is it really the best point, and does it really matter, or does it cloud the thinking?

I'm always very interested in the beginning of things, as it shapes the way to come.

Just to add onto that, for my freelance work, I specifically ignored my initials and my name, with my first name being what it is, the obvious complications/confusions due to the major brand of jeans would have got on my nerves very quickly. Take a look round and see how many kates (assuming I'm right here) are in design, I bet there's a fair few so it may be better (unless this is more a portfolio for uni etc) to look at a memorable name such as Berry's Armadillo.

If I was to do my name again, I would do it in exactly the same way as before, by breaking down what I do and then looking for interesting plays on the words or at techniques used.

And I just thought of another word for H while writing that - hatching (not the egg type)

Sometimes you are too close to things to see it's real power. Looking from the outside Levi, I would 100% brand you Levi. But use and harness the power of the name recognition to maximum. There are only 3 Levis i know of....the Denim, and the recently deceased great voice of the Four Tops, and You ( and Paul Young's son - I think?) Piggybacking on familiarity is a great effecient way of increasing brand recognition if implemented right. Never be precious ( or un-precious) to anything. The answer is always closer than you think.

Well considering I know 2 other people called levi, a poet (levi tafari), the jeans and I always seem to get called levy (don't ask me why) when reading my name (not just foreign call centres) I just felt that it was a better direction if I ever decided to add staff.

See what you mean about thinking of names to do with certain things that you do, rather than initials. Just thought it would give me some kind of identity if used the initials of my name :p

(e.g Print Design, Logos etc.)

I don't really want to use my own name to be honest, would feel too boring.

Decided that I want it based around a sort of flowery theme, I like the name BitterSweet Designs (but its taken :mad:)

Anyone gimmie any tips to how they created a name for themselves please!!! :D

Get back to me
Cheers!
:up:

Elekate said:
IAnyone gimmie any tips to how they created a name for themselves please!!! :D

I sat down in the kitchen went through the index pages of all my cookery books and collated 2 pages of random names, then drew a line through the ones i didn't like and ended up with a shortlist of Armadillo, Tomato, Sea Bass, Blueberry and Aubergine.
the kids in the street picked the name. Ended up with Armadillo - job done in 2 hours.

Berry said:
I sat down in the kitchen went through the index pages of all my cookery books and collated 2 pages of random names, then drew a line through the ones i didn't like and ended up with a shortlist of Armadillo, Tomato, Sea Bass, Blueberry and Aubergine.
the kids in the street picked the name. Ended up with Armadillo - job done in 2 hours.

Haha no way! :D

Ive been looking through names of flowers to try and trigger something :D
but no luck :(

Just try to find something which relates to me :p

My boyfriend (Niveus) said about relating it to my dress sense as I wear alot of bright colours that are funky and that I like flowers :D

Just pick a name.... after a few months the name has no importance, what it represents is Brand. Names and Brands are two different things, a logo is Mechanical Branding, a Brand is a promise of consistancy. If you try to get somethimg that 'relates' to you you will end up with a twee self indulgent one dimentional name that has now room to grow. Design is never personal, it's business.

Berry said:
Just pick a name.... after a few months the name has no importance, what it represents is Brand. Names and Brands are two different things, a logo is Mechanical Branding, a Brand is a promise of consistancy. If you try to get somethimg that 'relates' to you you will end up with a twee self indulgent one dimentional name that has now room to grow. Design is never personal, it's business.

I know but I don't want to pick one that sounds stupid :p

Back