Thinking about a new website?

scotty

Ultimate Member
For quite some time now I've been thinking about updating my portfolio site.

I've had mine quite a while now but it was custom built and quite tricky to update as well as not being responsive.
This is why there's no blog content and I tend to update my Bechance rather than the site.

I don't want anything too fancy and I really like how easy it is to work with Wordpress themes but I've been struggling to find the right one.
Every time I get one I find there's something missing that I wanted or they're really restrictive.
I seem to have gone WP Theme blind through searching.

I did find this one called Illustrator that seemed to tick all the boxes but I recall some of you guys saying that it ranked low on Google or something.
One thing I do like is masonry portfolio grids that it can do.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions?
I could really do with something off the peg as I don't want to go down the route of learning WP and doing the whole code thing.

Had a quick look, the likely reason it ranks low on google is lack of text for context in the searches.

What about one of those 'premade' websites like squarespace?

Had a quick look, the likely reason it ranks low on google is lack of text for context in the searches.

What about one of those 'premade' websites like squarespace?

Are you saying that because it's just a theme, with no real context, content or projects is that it ranks low?

I've thought about Squarespace but there don't seem to be that many themes on there but probably wrong.

Are you saying that because it's just a theme, with no real context, content or projects is that it ranks low?

I've thought about Squarespace but there don't seem to be that many themes on there but probably wrong.
Sorry bit late on reply here..
Basically google ranks your site based on the information it can find on the site, so say your site is primarily pictures google has no or limited information to go on. It needs a balance of imagery and text to help with ranking, because this site is more focused on showing the work google has less to work on.

Or at least thats how I understand it.

Sorry bit late on reply here..
Basically google ranks your site based on the information it can find on the site, so say your site is primarily pictures google has no or limited information to go on. It needs a balance of imagery and text to help with ranking, because this site is more focused on showing the work google has less to work on.

Or at least thats how I understand it.

Makes sense Levi!

And that's because he is right.

Google can't read images, it can only read words. It's the words and how they are structured on the site that determines rank. Google likes lots of words along with internal linking, citations and well crafted code.

All your punters want are simple galleries and some blurb about the project, testimonials and clear calls to action. They couldn't give two hoots about your theme, the colours, fonts or any of your special features. And most of the time they could care less about you as long as you can do the job.

Back