Things that really pissed you off at work.

berry

Working with people can be the most irritating frustrating thing in the world. ( suppose that's why I was nicknamed 'Green Berry' because of my Hulk outbursts) But what small iritating habit did some work collegues have that you wanted to strangle them for?

I worked with a Studio Manager once who thought that all Macs in the agency were under his sole remit and power. We would come into work in the morning and he would have cleaned our Macs up and removed all but 12 standard fonts from Suitcase startup - he said we didn't need to keep open that many fonts. Times, Helvetica, Garamond, Mixage etc were good enough. Needless to say Green Berry proceeded to rip shirt off.

Mate - i'd have a list as long as the A19 - but i got to be respectful - everyone knows everyone round here!

Things like - bad file management really piss me off - when doing a collect for output in freehand - make a folder for fonts and a seperate one for images and a seperate folder for development and research work - one guy i worked with insisted on having one massive huge folder with no order - just files and files and files - idiot.

Oh - and someone else - who insisted on paginating every job they did - even tho 99% of all printers do it anyhow pre press !

Aaaaarrrgggghhhhhh!

rossnorthernunion said:
bad file management really piss me off

Yeah got to agree with that one from previous experience! Along with not numbering the concept stages and saving the original stock image files when used!!

Now I work on my own I don't really get these problems! But if/when I do, I get even more annoyed as I have nobody else to moan at or blame it on :D

rossnorthernunion said:
Mate - i'd have a list as long as the A19 - but i got to be respectful - everyone knows everyone round here! !

To a certain extent. But I think there exists an unwritten sanctuary on every forum like this. It's our 'code'. I understand your postition, tho I'm lucky as I can say what I want now, that position makes me push things a bit harder than i would if i had constraints. And that's the buzz i get - pushing and poking to improve other peoples thinking and empowerment. Stimulation and debate from afar.

Or renaming a downloaded low rez stock image and renaming from its numerical issue number to - Sad old lady backround7" - leave the original - rename a copy!

That happened a lot when i worked in one of my first jobs - my head hurt.

Theres far too many stock image websites out there.

Berry said:
To a certain extent. But I think there exists an unwritten sanctuary on every forum like this. It's our 'code'. I understand your postition, tho I'm lucky as I can say what I want now, that position makes me push things a bit harder than i would if i had constraints. And that's the buzz i get - pushing and poking to improve other peoples thinking and empowerment. Stimulation and debate from afar.

When my six balls drop on Saturday night i'll let rip about every idiot i've ever worked with...

...from my huge helicopter in Las Vegas.

rossnorthernunion said:
Or renaming a downloaded low rez stock image and renaming from its numerical issue number to - Sad old lady backround7" - leave the original - rename a copy!

That happened a lot when i worked in one of my first jobs - my head hurt.

Theres far too many stock image websites out there.

Yes that's another classic! hours upon hours of stock photo research all lost by renaming a file, and soo the process begins again! racking your head trying to remember the keywords you used to search for that sad old lady background7!!

Greg said:
Yes that's another classic! hours upon hours of stock photo research all lost by renaming a file, and soo the process begins again! racking your head trying to remember the keywords you used to search for that sad old lady background7!!

Its worse when you find out the image is no longer available!

That actually annoyed me a little bit reading that!! :mad: lol

I don't think I've ever been that unlucky to have that happen to me... yet!
That should be the dictionary definition for 'Annoyance'

Its happened on more than one occasion - with the same person in question!

Another gripe is when people leave half full cups of tea and coffee on their desks for ages (days and days) - open targets to be spilt and makes the place look a backstreet cafe - and they get coffee rings all over paperwork and printouts!

Drink it - remove it - wash it!

Lack of Ideas. Design over content. Superficial ideas that have no substance. Looks great but no depth.
Short term fixes only.

rossnorthernunion said:
Its happened on more than one occasion - with the same person in question!

Another gripe is when people leave half full cups of tea and coffee on their desks for ages (days and days) - open targets to be spilt and makes the place look a backstreet cafe - and they get coffee rings all over paperwork and printouts!

Drink it - remove it - wash it!

See my post on untidy workstations.

• Talking a good job - and doing nowt with it.

• Purposly working slow to try and shift deadline work onto others

• Lack of willingness to learn new software and differing ways of working.

Senior designers taking credit for all your work! After passing on a poor attempt at extracting a brief from a client then leaving the project in your hands for days, you come up with some decent concepts and they then happily present the ideas to the client as theirs in front of you in a meeting, knowing you won't be able to say anything or worse still don't even invite you to the meeting!

Guess that's the name of the game to an extent, when at the bottom of the ladder, but I'd rather be at the top of my own ladder.

rossnorthernunion said:
• Talking a good job - and doing nowt with it.

• Purposly working slow to try and shift deadline work onto others

No excuse for either....Wrong people in the job. P45

the second you can solve.
the first is criminal creative negligence

Greg said:
Senior designers taking credit for all your work! After passing on a poor attempt at extracting a brief from a client then leaving the project in your hands for days, you come up with some decent concepts and they then happily present the ideas to the client as theirs in front of you in a meeting, knowing you won't be able to say anything or worse still don't even invite you to the meeting!

Ladders and Stepping Stones. But what goes round comes round.
I can hand on heart say that I have NEVER ever done that. I always let everyone know who originated the idea. My skill was nurturing and honing that idea into a polished gem. The you have people working for you not against you. Empower and motivate people not constrict them

Berry said:
I can hand on heart say that I have NEVER ever done that. I always let everyone know who originated the idea.

Sounds like a great approach to have Berry, and yes being involved in what I mentioned does result in feeling un-appreciated, un-valued and ready to leave! Whilst they get a quick chance to empower themselves, they also give you a great motivation to find something better.

I worked with a really....ignorant Marketing Dept.

I had to explain what I meant by crop marks one day, and then the gal went to explain to the Creative Manager what they were to make herself look good.

I think he knows. He's been doing it for decades.

I cringed as he pretended to not know what crop marks were.

Back