• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

They must be joking...

I get email job alerts from one of the Job Sites and today's gem is a company in Exeter who have a temporary contract for a graphic designer paying, wait for it - I know everyone will want to apply.... £6.60 an hour!!!!

I know any job is better than no job but seriously ASDA pay more than that :icon_eek:

Katedesign

It's 58p OVER the minimum wage! Pay peanuts...get... - actually in this day and age a fraduate with a first class honours degree who will work hard for the first few months then get pissed off and leave!

It's 58p OVER the minimum wage! Pay peanuts...get... - actually in this day and age a fraduate with a first class honours degree who will work hard for the first few months then get pissed off and leave!
Yes well I'm a "fraduate" with a First and there's no danger - even if I were near Exeter

ARRIVALS

Is it for a graduate, or a mid-senior designer?

Sometimes, whilst the pay is shit, some people are just too picky. I know for a fact, if I was a graduate desperate for a job in design, looking for my first job in the industry I'd jump at the chance. Yea sure, Asda could pay me £9.00 an hour to stack shelves, but bollocks to that. I've spent 3 years at uni, I want a job in design. For now, £6.60 is fine. I'll work, progress, learn and work my way up, in the industry I want to be in.

:boxing:

Sometimes, whilst the pay is shit, some people are just too picky. I know for a fact, if I was a graduate desperate for a job in design, looking for my first job in the industry I'd jump at the chance. Yea sure, Asda could pay me £9.00 an hour to stack shelves, but bollocks to that. I've spent 3 years at uni, I want a job in design. For now, £6.60 is fine. I'll work, progress, learn and work my way up, in the industry I want to be in.

Exactly; times are hard out there looking for graduate roles so if there's an opportunity to earn money for a while, building up your portfolio and adding to your CV all the while, I'm sure there will be people who go for it, even if they're only looking at it for a temporary solution.

Yeh I get what you are saying but this is a 3month temp role and they are asking for a Graduate. I personally think it's an insult to expect to pay a trained / qualified designer less than a shelf stacker can earn.

We constantly have graduates on the phone chasing a 3 month placement. If we take a graduate on we only ever pay expenses. I've even heard of companies in London who you have to pay for the pleasure of working with.
Based on this I think £6 per hour is pretty good, especially considering that most Graduates are pretty much useless in the real world of design. (All of our graduates agree with this statement after a few weeks).

I've over twenty years experience in design and I can't get any work whatsoever.

Today, I was given the chance of working for free to aid my portfolio. :icon_mad:

I've tried looking for other work ie. shelf stacking, but I can't get it because my CV says that I can't shelf stack! Twenty five years ago whilst at college, I used to stack shelves in a supermarket of a night time to pay my way. Unfortunately, now I need three consecutive years of shelf stacking to even apply for the job!

One of the lads I was working with twenty years ago is now a manager of a supermarket.

£9 an hour sure seems like a lot to me when you're struggling to pay the mortgage - believe me! :icon_confused:

I did it when I was 25 for 5.50 an hour! All I could get and I didn't have the luxury of choosing! Like you say you got bills, mortgage etc you have no other choice and they know it!!!! Thanks CAMERON!

Katedesign

Life is tough out here in design&print land. @Scott - try teaming up with a PR/Marketing person - they can be very useful contacts - if you're freelancing that is!

Life is tough out here in design&print land. @Scott - try teaming up with a PR/Marketing person - they can be very useful contacts - if you're freelancing that is!
Thanks Kate.

Any PR geezers out there whom need a hand?

Feel free to drop me a line.

ps. I don't work for free :icon_wink:

Katedesign

Try some local networking, there's bound to be some free meetings - write to local PR/marketing people and introduce yourself. It will take time (I know that's not helpful!!)

Oooh, local networking has not been good for me in the past... :nono:
T'was full of fat suits telling me how great they were doing and it was a selection of business cards with tits on. :crazy:

American Psycho: Business Card Scene - YouTube

I'm in the middle of revamping my stuff (aren't we all?) then I'll see about the PR scenario.

I don't like suits though. :puke: