Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's a bug in my monitor

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by lula, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lula

lula Senior Member

And not for the first time this week. Thought I'd share this with the class as it can't be just me... I noticed a little thing crawling around on my screen but then discovered it was Under The Glass!!! (Or plastic or whatever they're made from.) Us Brummies call them thunderbugs – you often get them under picture frames. We seem to be plagued with them around here this week. Anyway, I've looked into what to do and it seems the most important thing is not to squash it or it'll be stuck in there forever. Advice is to wait until you can next switch your monitor off and it will crawl out when it is dark and cool. This worked for me! :up:
  2. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

That must have been a trippy couple of hours for the little fella! Doesn't Norton Antivirus get rid of bugs? :rolleyes:
  3. lula

lula Senior Member

It was trippy for me! I thought an apostrophe had broken loose.
  4. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

A punctuation nightmare! How long were you trying to catch it with your mouse pointer for?

5. lula

lula Senior Member

Ha! I did a bit of chasing it with my finger and a tentative scratch at it. Then I was wide-eyed and straight onto Google. One poor girl had squished hers and now has to look at its corpse every day, frequently mistaking it for a typo.
  6. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

did somebody call?
  7. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

we call them midgies :)

Annoying bleeders. You have to hope they find a way out (they don't always) or they just die and you keep a little 2/3mm black blob in your screen.

They're common as anything here due to the corn etc. I have managed to shift them by laying the monitor face down in a car seat (when moving house) and then going for a drive, the vibrations seemed to shift them :)
  8. lula

lula Senior Member

Typo, have you got some sort of alarm that goes off when you're mentioned?

Levi, is the corn field the big attraction? There is a huge field of wheat/rye/similar just across the road from me so maybe that's it!
  9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

dah dum tishhhh! Tom is here all night!
  10. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

Hi Lula, I had exactly the same problem, however i had 5! of them running around, to which 3 died, I sent my monitor back to the manufacturer, although out of warranty I argued that its a design floor that the lcd panel and the emitter is not a sealed unit. They honored this after sending Wikipedia articles on what the bugs are and what they are referred to here i the uk :)

on a more funny point however, they did live within my monitor for several days, and I did manage to train them to follow the mouse cursor! well i liked to believe i did ;)
  11. Thewholehogg

Spider sense.
  12. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

:D What sort of games did they prefer? Driving or shooting?
  13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Bugs Life

I'll get my coat, infact, maybe I'll just close DF for that!!! (nod)
  14. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Sounds rather amusing :p
  15. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

oh dear is there a shakey head smiley (nod)

I did think...... Customer - "excuse me there's a bug in my monitor"

...... PC World Salesman - "Keep your voice down sir of they'll all want one..."

16. Thewholehogg

PC World Salesman - "What's a monitor..have you tried Comet?"
  17. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Is 'PC World salesman' a joke in itself? :D
  18. Please tell me you didn't get that from a PC World Salesman :eek:
  19. Thewholehogg

It's a bit like 'Microsoft Works'.
  20. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member