Theatre Logo Advice

klambert

A client has presented me with a bit of a head scratcher.

Sooooo, I've been asked by a client to design a logo for them, they're a Site Specific Theatre, aka a street theatre that uses the context of the location for their narratives, they're not based in a single location. I will keep the clients name non-specific, however I've been trying to narrow down the fundamentals of their logo, however things are made harder by A) The name is pretty generic and doesn't immediately conjure up some strong iconography. B) They've requested I avoid using their initials, as the initials are strongly associated with another very well known institution.
Their name, when you dig down, is about affirming the zest of life. However I've had problems distilling this rather vague and large concept into a logo. If anyone knows of any organisations that have successfully managed this, I'd be greatly interested

As well as the above, they want the logo to show clearly they're a theatre company, or at least appeal to regular arts goers.

When asking for specifics, they said they wanted stylistically: it be inspired by things like the Bauhaus, the 1951 Festival of Britain logo and/or to suggest the following themes, political activism, Narrative, movement/dynamism.

Will admit I'm feeling rather overwhelmed, especially in regards to how to distill the zest of life bit, into the suggested styles, any help would be much appreciated.

You could go the obvious route with illustrations/silhouettes of dancers etc, or maybe just the name in graffiti style lettering?

There isn't one image I can think of that sums up 'theatre company', but for some reason
I'm imagining something like the old BT logo from the 90,s (fat bloke blowing his own trumpet, as it was known as to some!) but done in a similar style to the Festival of Britain logo?

Zest of life you say ... how about a flower with the petals being different movements in theatre; masks, dancers, actors, singing, etc.

Really rough but you get the idea. As for 'zest', I'd just make orange their brand colour. Bright, theatrical, and it stands out.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 14.23.38.png

Thanks for the suggestions all

You could go the obvious route with illustrations/silhouettes of dancers etc, or maybe just the name in graffiti style lettering?

There isn't one image I can think of that sums up 'theatre company', but for some reason
I'm imagining something like the old BT logo from the 90,s (fat bloke blowing his own trumpet, as it was known as to some!) but done in a similar style to the Festival of Britain logo?

The graffiti style is the one I'm following now, I think they're aiming for a Punchdrunk type vibe: https://www.punchdrunk.org.uk/ but less dark.
The other alternative being like a modernist pied piper.

Zest of life you say ... how about a flower with the petals being different movements in theatre; masks, dancers, actors, singing, etc.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea at all.

Really rough but you get the idea. As for 'zest', I'd just make orange their brand colour. Bright, theatrical, and it stands out.

View attachment 6904

Hi Paul

Funny that, I was too looking at those location markers, but I didn't quite make the connection seems so obvious now! would you mind if I followed your idea up for a bit?

Back