Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The youth of today

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Pixels Ink, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will be with me on this!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.. Uphill... barefoot...BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, There was no way in hell I was going to lay A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it And how easy they've got it! But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!
    ...Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mum, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the Channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove .... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
    The over 30 Crowd

2. Timmo

Timmo Member

I remember when I used to spend every sunday recording songs off the top 40 onto tape. I didn't have the internet at home til I was 15.

3. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Nice Rant Pixs.

But lets be honest, life may be easier in some ways, harder in others, but the quality of life hasnt improved.

Sitting round a fire playing cards must have been top quality, real family time.

You say we have it easy, and we do in many respects, but when everyone in the generation has it easy, it kind of levels the playing field, making it hard all over again, if you get me.

4. timmp.co.uk

timmp.co.uk Member

We may get certain stuff easier but in no way is education easier!

5. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

lol, I'm with you Col :icon_biggrin:

@ Timmo, I think we all did that, trying to press stop before the presenter spoke over the end of the track.

6. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

hehe, in 10 years you young uns will be saying something along the same lines as my little post ;)

One I missed off.

Waiting on a speccy 48k game to load for 5 minutes only for it to fail!!

On the plus side listening to the games load was pretty good. Got to the stage I could tell which game it was by the beeps and boops it made whilst loading :)

7. andyd8

andyd8 Member

You don't know how good you've got it Pixel! You've experienced those old hard days so you appreciate how easy things are. To us all this internet, email etc is hard work. Being in your 20's is a hard life.

8. Stationery Direct

Loved my ZX Spectrum :icon_smile:

@ Col, do you remember the old Ataris with the controllers with the dial on, where you could play tennis that looked a bit like this..

|000000000O
    0000000000000000000000|

Also...

...does anybody remember this little beauty

[​IMG]

9. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

I had a big trak :)

Used to programme it so that it would go to the kitchen and back to my bedroom and get my mum to put a can of coke on it. Was like a butler :)

First computer I ever owned was a ZX81 and you had to build it yourself. Sounds funny in a day where you build your own PC, but this was a whole new ball game and expensive if you fooked it up!!

10. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

SPOILT! :icon_mad:

11. Helen

Helen Member

My computer was a commodore 64. - I'll never forget the noise it made as it started to boot a game.

You should also have put regarding TV that there were only 4 CHANNELS AND YOU HAD TO TUNE THEM IN WITH A LITTLE STICK!!!!

However, saying that, I'm afraid I'm in the other camp (the sub 30's) Thought I will be joining you on the other side of the fence in 3 months.

12. Stationery Direct

I had a Commodore 64 too, I also purchased a light pen which allowed you to draw on the screen, was very cool back then!

13. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

hahaha. you would be saying that if you had ever tried to programme the bloody thing. I'm sure the Boss man will back me up on that.

It was like give a blind dog some instructions in braile and getting it to go the shops and come back with a newspaper. With the correct change.

I'll be 35 this year :icon_crying:

14. designer01

designer01 Member

I also had a spectrum 48K, loved it and had lot's of games. Once I spent all day writing a program to draw a union jack! It was a good way to make friends though. I used to swap games and one mate who I met at school through doing this is still my friend to this day. I'm 36 now!

I watched a program about the victorian era last night and those were very harsh times so in some respects we all have it easier compared to those days except perhaps today surviving in the relentless snow!

Cheers

Greg

15. Stationery Direct

I'm 34 in July, my partner is 27 and although we are only 6 years apart there is so many things I speak about that she has never heard of.

16. Helen

Helen Member

I also had a NES.....cutting edge technology there!

17. Graphic Detail

Graphic Detail New Member

30 in 6 months i had a comodore 64 it was a beautiful thing!
    (white dog poo) you don't get that these days either lol

18. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Now, your not the first to say that recently to me. What was that all about like?

19. Sneblot

Sneblot New Member

Yep I remember that, I didn't own a computer of my own until I was 18 and thus didn't have regular access to the net untill about then.