The 'Young Bucks' wannabe Thread

allyally2k said:
OMG is that a joke what is this all about ...."Try to use different shapes and color combinations in the designs you make. Make sure to use circles. Circles are key!"

So you're are rubbish designer if you use sqaures and don't use photoshop filters??hmmm!!?!

crap, someone call the Swiss, straight lines and the grid are outta here!

Bauhaus and/or the ITS should be allowed as religions on the census ... if Jedis can be... why not? Jedi is also a fine option though

I actually saw it a while back and then went and played it for a bit, there were several cheeses which were also fonts which really didn't work too well when you decided to click on font over cheese as clearly the author hadn't done his research :)

Well, since the topic (sort of) came up... What do you guys think of me?
I'm young (coming up on 17 soon), I've read a lot of books, know a fair bit about semantics and design principles. I've done a lot of stupid shit, and in the past six months, come up with a lot of good shit too. I'm a part-time (due to school) junior designer at digiti.be (please don't link) but the stuff I do there is mostly confidential. The work in my DF gallery is pretty much crap so I might come off as a teen with a lot of critique but no work to show.

Oh and the fact that I don't have a portfolio isn't helping much either. Let's just hope that'll soon be fixed.

It's been on my mind (and that of others... I won't say names but everyone knows it's Tim :p) for quite a while, so I'd value your opinions.

I think you're Onartis - King of the Off-topic, Tormentor of the Tim. Fornicator of the Forum.

Okay... let me rephrase. Do you think I'm one of these young buck wannabes?
Do you think my replies add any (non-humorist :rolleyes:) value to the forum?

I find design to be so enthralling, I'm young (20) and know full well I have so far to go, I have read alot, and taken in alot, but feel that there is so very much more in design....

The thing is
I know alot about "bodybuilding" without ever doing it, through extensive research for the 'new me' which never happened, but I still no about different weight regimes, different medical terms & their reasons for effecting your sessions, different methods of doing different things....

I know alot about fencing, while only going to a few sessions at the uni, through alot of research, but never finding time to properly learn. I know about different training methods, different styles, different rules, everything I could find in the short time I researched, I took in and learnt.

I know more about squash than alot of people and I've only played once, again researching but never getting round to it. This list can continue for quite some while... essentially I have been able to find out alot about this stuff and feel capable of taking part, and just not getting round to it...

With design however I feel like I have so much to learn, after putting in more time and effort. There is so much out there I don't see how I could ever feel satisfied, this means every time I think of making my portfolio, it stops as I go to learn more.... I feel I have all the time in the world to get to where I want to be, and don't understand why some folk do want to rush, but then I'm not in a situation where I have to concentrate on making money from it yet. Another 2 years at least... (Or I might still decide I cant quite cut it and go do something else)

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, but I understand completely where Berry is coming from, and as usual he seems to be right... I just hope I can keep learning, and then get into creating and making those errors, and correcting them.

*edit: Oh and still got the fun of having Berry bust my balls for the work I show*

Perhaps, if there is space in his otherwise busy schedule, we could have a please critique my work, even if only briefly, Mr Burgess.

It might be a good opportunity for all of us (young or old) to be pointed in a better direction? Or even given food for thought on our work.

I realise we have a critique section, but that works for all of us to help each other. Not many of our members have the experience/wisdom of you Mr B.

Also I think one of the things I have learned through experience, one of the hardest things is balancing what is effective and well executed, and what the client is asking you to do and what they want.

Onartis said:
Okay... let me rephrase. Do you think I'm one of these young buck wannabes?
Do you think my replies add any (non-humorist :rolleyes:) value to the forum?

A Wannabe is anyone who tries to doesn't put the effort into the craft of design or is simply looking for a quick fix and thinks that by calling themselves a designer they are good enough to complete in the competitive real world. Young Buck Wannabes lack true substance and depth, and will always come up short. Eagerness is a great virtue, but Patience is a better one.
I don't think you're a Young Buck Wannabe as you have valid points of view and are not on a rollercoaster commercial ride to be a design god and millionaire by the time you're 20. Learning and absorbing, ideas, culture, conversation etc will help you develop as human being with maturity, not just a boy with software. Being creative and producing is only part of the journey, that's the easy bit. The Life bit is the part young bucks come a cropper on. And yes you add value to the forum. But that doesn't mean just because I'm being nice, I want to sleep with you or like you!;)

Onartis said:
It's been on my mind (and that of others... I won't say names but everyone knows it's Tim :p) for quite a while, so I'd value your opinions.

just to fill you all in

we were just talking about the fact that we feel we're better than the forum implies. we come across as n00bs and dicks but we actually do love about design and are still eager to learn. yes. it's true.

Personally I don't think the views/posts from people Onartis and Tim have any less value than the more experienced on here, we always need someone to take the mickey out of after all, especially if they're always on about apple products :p

Besides I'm sure that even Berry (as well as myself and others being the oldies that we are :)) will admit to not having the same perspective on a design/product/advert as a teenager would and so having that differing view can actually make us look at things differently and maybe come out with a better designed product etc.

tim said:
we were just talking about the fact that we feel we're better than the forum implies. we come across as n00bs and dicks but we actually do love about design and are still eager to learn. yes. it's true.

Tim (and Kevin) I don't think the forum implies your n00bs, it's just friendly banter, the sheer fact you guys are on here, have a passion for design and are improving at your respective age/s is great! At your age I had no idea what I wanted to do, let alone considered career paths, or doing any relevant part-time work.

If you weren't liked, or people felt like you weren't keen to learn, you'd have either a) lost interest or b) been eaten by the resident shark/hulk/beast whatever he likes to be called now.

Greg said:
Tim (and Kevin) I don't think the forum implies your n00bs, it's just friendly banter, the sheer fact you guys are on here, have a passion for design and are improving at your respective age/s is great! At your age I had no idea what I wanted to do, let alone considered career paths, or doing any relevant part-time work.

If you weren't liked, or people felt like you weren't keen to learn, you'd have either a) lost interest or b) been eaten by the resident shark/hulk/beast whatever he likes to be called now.

Exactly, you guys are so lucky to have found something that you're passionate about so young (damn I feel old now) :) I didn't have the faintest clue until a few years a go :p

and as Greg said, by being here and the things you post it's obvious you're open to learning and not just jumping on the "lol I have Photoshop ergo I'm a designer" bandwagon.

I think the intentions were to say that there's so many people, young and old trying this and belittling the work of established/hard working/informed designers, because there's no industry "standards" as it were. The age of the personal computer is a blessing and a curse. :p

Back