Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Very Best Graphic Design Books. What's Your Number 1?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by andybdesign, Jul 1, 2016.

1. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

I recently wrote an article called The Top 20 Best of the Best Graphic Design Books, but I was wondering what everyone here thinks.

What is personally your favourite or most useful graphic design book?

Mine would probably be Robert Bringhurst's book Elements of Typographic Style. But I'm half way through Just My Type and it is brilliant. Simon Garfield is a genius writer – his descriptions of letters and fonts is so poetic.
  2. ash

ash Member

3. statbd7

statbd7 New Member

Different people have different choose. Here is my book list of graphs design. I try to learn this book continiously.
  4. Clare

Clare New Member

It's a nice list :) I really like this one too

When I look up books to read online, though, I don't know how big they are, and I often walk 40mins to work and then read on my 20min train ride to work. Because of this, quite a few design books (like the example I've given!) are really inconvenient to lug around and to get out and read on the train (elbows flying into other commuters etc)

The How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul book was good for this because its small.

In short, which books are small enough to take on a daily commute?
  5. andybdesign

Clare, I've heard that book is really good. It featured in the research I did but didn't quite get into the top 20. It came 22nd.

You can see the full list (1 – 141) here.
    Clare likes this.
  6. Just_Imajenn

Just_Imajenn New Member

IT's not a book but it's a magazine subscription that I ABSOLUTELY love....Communication Arts! Keep up with the current trends and see the most current work out there.
    Clare and Stationery Direct like this.
  7. Quickandeasy

Quickandeasy Junior Member

Clare likes this.
  8. andybdesign

I'd agree with that. "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be" is a great book. I'll have to dig that out again and take a look. It's short and to the point which is always a bonus.
  9. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

One of my favourite books. It's more about attitude and positive thinking than design or advertising theory (though there is some) but still a good, quick read.
    Clare likes this.
  10. Dee W

Dee W New Member

I got introduced to Alan Fletcher's, The Art of Looking Sideways, when I was in college. I loved it so much I had to buy myself a copy.

It's a wonderous display of sensory overloadiness!!! I love it!