The Timeline of a Freelance Job

Jri

Hi all,

I recently got to look at a freelance video editor's documentation, which he uses when taking on a new job/client.

Initially he uses a 'terms and conditions' document, which essentially lays out basic ground rules ("the fee outlined here includes two amendments, anything after that is chargeable" etc...).

He also uses what looks essentially like an invoice, only issued before work commences. It basically outlines the deliverables and the timing/cost of the whole gig (it appears to act as a kind of brief, only issued by the freelancer to the client - presumably to fill in the gap in instances where the client neglects to provide a formal/tangible brief).

Finally, invoicing is done in the traditional way. Again, this itemises the cost, timings and work done. Interestingly, it also lists the impact of expenses such as travel etc...

This got me thinking about what your 'timeline' is for taking on freelance work. How do you do things, what order do you do them in and what devices (such as the pricing/quote structures mentioned above) do you use? Any anecdotes of them working/not working in practice?

Also, slightly off the main topic;

While we're trading war stories - I'd love to hear peoples timelines/accounts of how they A) discover/determine potential new clients and B) approach them for work?

I'm collecting info here to reinforce my own freelance work practices, so all info is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jri.

Back