The Redundancy Thread

rossnorthernunion

Don't think this forum has one yet, so I'll make one.

I've been made redundant from my senior designer role last week, and I'm after some advice.

What exactly do i do being 'redundant' ? - should i watch Homes Under The Hammer? Do i eat beans cold and straight from the tin? Do i lie in bed till 2pm? Do I spend hours on facebook? I really don't know.

Oh and if any knows of any full-time positions going in the North East or freelance opportunities I'd be grateful.

Ta

Sorry to hear that fella. I've been made redundant 4 times now since 1987.
Everytime it's a kick in the teeth, but you have to pick your self up and keep going.

If your claiming...get to the dentist. Have the lot done. Get to Specsavers get some smart new glasses and a eye test. Get the claim forms in for your card/mortgage protection. Make sure you are patronised every two weeks by a spotty cheesed off twerp. Get your rent payed for for a bit.
Over the years you've payed for all that stuff so don't feel ashamed.

Use the time to learn advance and try something new. Sure keep looking at the job ads and read the vacancies in Essex sent through from Altitude recruitment. Get to know Laura she's canny.

Don't blow any payment you might get...squirrel it away.

Don't get depressed and don't sit staring at the telly and filling your bin.
Don't forget that you have skills. talent and drive.

and never ever punch the twerp in the jobshop.

...wait till he's outside.

Good luck fella. Keep yer head up and shoulders back.
I'm in the same boat.

I've been on Laura, couple of interviews this week for a couple of agencies, but in the current NE climate freelancing looks to be the way forward.

The JobCentre will be Mondays 'fun and games'.

Welcome to the club mate, I got made redundant same time as Typo a while back. Ended up getting a job that "pays the bills" while doing any illustration work on the side I can get to keep everything ticking over.

Typo, I contacted Altitude a couple times, spoke to Laura, was asked to email my CV and some work and... never heard a damn thing back. Worth contacting again do you recon?

Evidently so. Shame most of the decent jobs are down in that Lon-Don, I'm going bloody stir crazy in the "job" Im in at the moment!

I'm in the same boat, got four more days to work & then i'm redundant. Been looking for a new design job since christmas with no luck, now thinking freelance might be the way to go.

Might give Altitude a go, i've tried all the other agencies:)

Altitude are ok.

Couple of irons in the fire. Got a couple of interviews via twitter / my own site. A fingers crossed waiting game.

It is mind numbingly boring mind this unemployment lark.

Thank god for freelance.

Sorry to here that.. I know on the grapevine Drummond Central in Newcastle were looking for creatives last week Contact Julie Drummond MD or Steve Drummond CD Tel: 0191 212 8999. Tell Julie a little Armadillo told you. Good luck. You can send me a CV, just in case

Berry said:
Sorry to here that.. I know on the grapevine Drummond Central in Newcastle were looking for creatives last week Contact Julie Drummond MD or Steve Drummond CD Tel: 0191 212 8999. Tell Julie a little Armadillo told you. Good luck. You can send me a CV, just in case

Might give that a shot, although after looking at their website & what they're looking for i'm not wholeheartedly convinced i'd be what they're looking for, but seeing as there's no design jobs round Scarborough/York i'm resigned to having to travel to Newcastle/Manchester & further afield to find work. Would mean not seeing my kids at all during the week but that's the new unofficial goverment guidelines isnt it?:(

Ross are you sorted? That's good if it is. Drop me an email to let me know the good news. Result

Back