the PC hate-on

Our teacher mentioned earlier during the year about how macs years ago was the better platform for working the adobe programs. But as the years have gone by it has blurred and there really is no difference in how each platform works for a graphic design setting. Of course the teacher warned us that there are still some very oldschool stubborn employers out there that if you were to mention to them you have even touched a PC in the last 5 years you might as well cut the interview short and walk yourself out.

Curious if any employers out there have the same mindset

I think most companies prefer macs because it makes it easier that the majority of people in the same circles are working on them. I remember the problems we used to have when we would get files from clients from a pc. Although the principles are the same we used to have LESS problems when supplied from a mac.

I think most printers find it easier as well but maybe someone on here will put me right on that.

Although the principles are the same we used to have LESS problems when supplied from a mac.
In our case, our deliverables are usually pdfs for print, so it doesn't matter all that much, but where there's a workflow involved, Mac is still preferred, by a long way. Fonts seem still to be the major obstacle, Mac ones are more consistent. I think it is largely a matter of custom, people install all sorts of rubbish on PCs and are more careful with Macs, so that the e.g. Times New Roman you find on a PC could have come from practically anywhere, whereas on the Mac it'll be the same as on the day it was bought.

I once mentioned at uni that I used a PC and as a joke they pointed to the door ¬¬ It made me wunder for a VERY long time whether I should get a Mac and if it's really worth it. Was happy with my PC and was able to work as well as I could on a Mac anyways :/

I have to say, if I was interviewing someone and they preferred to work on PC even though they'd tried both, I would question their sanity a little. This would probably make me look at them a little more sceptically.

I used to use PC for all my design work, back when OSX was only just getting a stable foothold. But once OSX became a mature OS, there was really no competition —*and by that time I could use Windows on the Mac if I needed to anyway due to the Intel chips.

I have to say, if I was interviewing someone and they preferred to work on PC even though they'd tried both, I would question their sanity a little. This would probably make me look at them a little more sceptically.

I used to use PC for all my design work, back when OSX was only just getting a stable foothold. But once OSX became a mature OS, there was really no competition —*and by that time I could use Windows on the Mac if I needed to anyway due to the Intel chips.

I use a PC, I haven't used Macs too much so can't compare in depth but I haven't felt that Macs were really any better. I'm pretty happy with the PC and have never had a problem.

I felt the same, but then whilst using a mac every day at work (not my choice) after leaving uni, it became more and more frustrating going back home to my trusty, still good spec, PC. Mac OSX is just, in my opinion, a smoother experience which lets you get on with things —*exposé and quicklook are the most obvious examples for me.

Not saying you're not as good a worker or designer, just that if you had to use OSX instead of windows, and didn't grow to like it more, then it's clear 'we' aren't on the same page :) which would be important if I were interviewing you.

Mac's are fine but they're not the be-all and end-all. I think a lot of what we see here is brand-based snobbery, plain and simple: the triumph of brand loyalty over the now old-fashioned idea of the discriminating consumer. Everyone has their own preference for their own reasons (largely based on what they're used to - which isn't necessarily the same thing as good judgment) but if anyone flatly looked down on me for preferring a non-Mac platform, I'd seriously question their priorities in terms of what's important in a designer.

I can use both confidently, i've used a Mac for around 8 months now and I've grown to like it more and more. My initial problem with Macs were the standard mice they come with.. no right click? Make absolutely no sense but i've adapted to it. I don't think i'd want to work in a company that would judge me as a designer based on the platform i work on. It doesn't effect my performance or work, and both platforms are easy to adjust to. I'd question the thoughts process behind any employer turning down a potential designer because of what they've used in the past. Design is more than just about whether you use a Mac or a PC.

I'm not trying to argue, but in case you were implying my post was just brand snobbery, I'll retort by saying it's not —*it's an educated opinion based on personal and professional experience. You don't have to agree and I didn't say it was fact. My main point, which I may not have made well, is fitting into established work-flow is extremely important from an employer point of view. If a candidate already knows how to use Automator to rename a bunch of files, that's one less thing I will need to show them.

Coming from a position as designer for a Mac-centric company has nothing to do with it at all :icon_wink:

Not saying you're not as good a worker or designer, just that if you had to use OSX instead of windows, and didn't grow to like it more, then it's clear 'we' aren't on the same page :) which would be important if I were interviewing you.

My main point, which I may not have made well, is fitting into established work-flow is extremely important from an employer point of view. If a candidate already knows how to use Automator to rename a bunch of files, that's one less thing I will need to show them.

So what are you saying then, that the designer has to prefer using a Mac (quote one), or simply has to know how to use one? (quote two)

As I say, I probably agree with Dave in that preference is simply what you are more used to. As someone who has primarily used a PC throughout as well as in the rest of my daily life away from design, I'm a lot more familiar with operating efficiently using one and I can work quicker.

That's not to say that I wouldn't grow used to using a Mac if I had to use one more and, in time, I have no doubt I'd pick up the short cuts and get to know where things are as well as on a PC. But that doesn't change the thoughts I have or make me more efficient or better at what I do.

The arguments for a Mac being better were, I was always led to believe, that the software performed better and that the colours and fonts looked better. From the times I have had to work with them, I haven't felt any particular improvement in software performance (if not even a little slower and less responsive, perhaps) and I see no marked difference in colours either. The only area is font, and even that is more from a web perspective than print.

If your mac mouse has no right click you need a new mouse as modern mac mice are far more versatile than the old ones.

I've worked on macs for about 10 years now with a slight flutter on PCs while working for one company. As far as use for design purposes goes, I think there's very little in it. Once youre in Photoshop, indesign etc.. its all the same. My only issue is the way in which PCs natively deal with fonts, squirreling them away as thought the user shouldn't need to access them. Oh and the way every time you boot a PC there seem to be 101 updates that have to be installed before you can use the system but thats more a general PC bugbear than anything.

As far as employers chucking you out of an interview for using a PC.. I think its more likely that they'd dismiss your application on the grounds that you cannot use their computer system, servers etc and would need extensive training on how to use a mac.

I've used PC's pretty exclusively in the print trade and as a printer I always had the feeling that designers prefered MACS and everyone else prefered the PCs. I can see the point of them and they are very attractive to look at, but at the end of the day it is going to be down to the software you use over the platform in my opiinion. As a printer I deal mainly with PDF files anyway, so it isn't really an issue as long as the file is prepared correctly in the first place but that is the same if going from a PC to MAC or vice versa really. As for stopping an interview mid stream if you don't use MACs, I think as someone mentioned earlier it is likely going to be down to fitting into the infra structure over anything else. If I interview a for new printer here and it is a choice between two technically able people but one is used to my type of machine and the other is used to a different brand then it makes sense to go with the guy who can turnup on Monday morning and get on with it as opposed to retraining the other guy

Mac's are fine but they're not the be-all and end-all. I think a lot of what we see here is brand-based snobbery, plain and simple: the triumph of brand loyalty over the now old-fashioned idea of the discriminating consumer.

Sorry but it's nothing to do with snobbery where I'm concerned and I think I speak for the people I work with too. I use a mac because they are better. If a pc was better, I'd use a pc. It's about getting work done and if it's easier and more efficient on a mac, why would I use a pc? I've never worked in a studio where the main tool is a pc.

So what are you saying then, that the designer has to prefer using a Mac (quote one), or simply has to know how to use one? (quote two)

You misunderstood or I wasn't clear enough in the first instance. If the designer doesn't prefer using a mac, but has had the chance to fully investigate both options, I wouldn't understand them and I like to understand people I work with. Therefore they would have to be exceptional in other areas to make up for this fundamental miss-match in our thinking. I have no problems with people who use PC because they need to, but if they came to work here they'd have to use a mac.

I believe the latest Adobe software might even run a little faster on windows than it does on mac (I think I remember reading that, but might of been a while ago), but I find that the operating system, OSX, itself offers a lot of time saving features which I believe makes it far more efficient for use. I've used, and still do use windows, and it does not offer these features. Built in, automatic, hourly backup... Don't get that with windows...

From a personal level, I love that on my home mac I don't have to worry about virus threats. I don't personally understand why anyone would choose to have to worry about that.

I think its more likely that they'd dismiss your application on the grounds that you cannot use their computer system, servers etc and would need extensive training on how to use a mac.

Agreed.

Sorry but it's nothing to do with snobbery where I'm concerned and I think I speak for the people I work with too. I use a mac because they are better. If a pc was better, I'd use a pc. It's about getting work done and if it's easier and more efficient on a mac, why would I use a pc? I've never worked in a studio where the main tool is a pc.

My trail of thought too.

All this started off just trying to answer the OP's question: Curious if any employers out there have the same mindset

(Maybe I wrote too much in response? Simple answer:)

Answer: Yes, some do have the same mindset, and it can be for good reason. If there is 1 job going at a mac based company... 2 designers, equal talent & skill, 1 uses mac, 1 windows. They employ the mac user as they wont need to wait for him to catch up. I think I'm right in saying that there are more mac based design jobs than windows based.

... I believe the latest Adobe software might even run a little faster on windows than it does on mac (I think I remember reading that, but might of been a while ago)...

Really? Interesting... War of attrition in the fallout from Apple's Flash ban?

I’m with whoever it was who mentioned PC’s having to update themselves constantly. Drives me mental. I use both (god bless intel macs), and have always used both but I’m afraid the PC is relegated to testing websites and playing games. Only thing they’re good for in my opinion.

Really? Interesting... War of attrition in the fallout from Apple's Flash ban?

Maybe. I remember it being due to the windows versions being 64bit, whereas the mac versions, whilst they now support multi-threading properly, they are still mostly 32bit.

...the PC is relegated to testing websites and playing games. Only thing they’re good for in my opinion.

Same here :icon_cheers: Though I'm using my mac for games more and more as I have access to most of the good ones. And there are web services that let you test websites in different browsers and OSs.

At home I only really use windows to play new Call of Duty games and solve problems my fiancée has with her laptop!

If I didn't have so many programs that I use exist only for pc I'd make my next computer a mac. Its funny how I rarely see a dell on tv shows and movies anymore, it's always apple.

I also wonder if the lack of viruses on macs have allot to do with the fact that a large majority of people still use pc's. If I was going to spend hours making a virus I'd want the suffering to be as widespread as possible.

If I didn't have so many programs that I use exist only for pc I'd make my next computer a mac. Its funny how I rarely see a dell on tv shows and movies anymore, it's always apple.

I also wonder if the lack of viruses on macs have allot to do with the fact that a large majority of people still use pc's. If I was going to spend hours making a virus I'd want the suffering to be as widespread as possible.

First point - It's because macs look nicer :) Don't think many people deny that and it makes sense to have nice looking things in movies. Wonder if any of Apple's billions of $s goes on product placement...

Very true about viruses, but over 90% of $1000+ machines sold are macs (apparently), so it would make sense to target these users wouldn't it? However, Mac OSX is a UNIX based system, which is inherently more secure and stable than a windows based system.

Back