the PC hate-on

I bought a Mac more because I was frustrated with having the errors that came with a custom-built PC whenever I upgraded a piece of hardware. Plus, Mac OS updates are dirt cheap, there's one version to choose from and you don't miss out on anything because you opted for the affordable version.

There is a lot of snobbery involved with owning a Mac I've noticed, almost like a little elitist clique going on. It's almost like buying a flash car rather than a cheaper, more affordable run-around. Both will get you to the same destination, but you pay more for the luxury on the journey.

Everything feels much more refined with a Mac, and although you can argue that they're overpriced (yes you can get the same or better specs cheaper with a PC), you won't have the same experience. Going back to Windows now feels clunky and archaic to me, little things such as the effort involved in installing and uninstalling software compared to the simplicity of Mac really add up. Plus you notice when you own one, just how well thought out and designed they are (magnetic power adapter is a life saver when you or someone else stumbles over your laptop cable).

In terms of designing though, I'd get exactly the same results whether I used a Mac or PC, but I don't use a Mac solely for designing so I enjoy the 'luxury' of owning one for everyday use.

I agree with most here - once you're actually in the software (InDesign, Photoshop etc) whether you're Mac or PC doesnt really matter... yes there are more issues with font usage on a PC, but aside from that the actual software is no different.

The biggest difference is the stability. Although PC's are getting better, they are much more unstable than a Mac.

In my work, I do use a PC. I work as an in house GD within a manufacturer, and the business as a whole uses PC's. Our IT department dont want the hassle of maintaining a Mac on a mainly PC network, so I was given the same budget that a Mac would have cost and was told to spec a PC to that value (really helps if you get on with the IT team!). The resulting PC is very impressive, but when we have the senior account manager of a local design agency visit, they do smirk when they see the GD working on a PC.

Which leads me nicely on to my final point. When looking at the PC/Mac debate, I think the most telling thing is when you speak to the actual designers who use the software - many of them are quite open that the actual software is much of a muchness between the two operating systems and it is the system stability and useability which teeters most over to the Mac side. When I speak with the account managers etc, they are the ones who dont use the software, but have the pre-conceived opinions that Mac is always better.

In an agency environment, I think Macs will prevail. Its situations like mine where you are in an environment where its all PC, and the GD has to "fit in" to prevent network issues and IT headaches. Having spoken with the designers at the agency, they really didnt see it as an issue, as long as I could use a Mac, your design skills will be far more important than whether you work predominantly on a Mac or PC.

Sorry but it's nothing to do with snobbery where I'm concerned and I think I speak for the people I work with too. I use a mac because they are better. If a pc was better, I'd use a pc. It's about getting work done and if it's easier and more efficient on a mac, why would I use a pc? I've never worked in a studio where the main tool is a pc.

...just in regard to that point, I can say hand on heart that the last 5 studios I have gone in to do some work (temp / freelance) have ALL had PCs but they have all been print studios. When I have worked in pure design agencies they all have Macs.

I can use both, I started on Macs and became aquainted with PCs as a needs must.

Bottom line I think Macs are prettier and, as mentioned, they handle fonts better and the OS is smoother in my experience but when it comes down to it the software is the same. Besides PCs are moving more and more towards working like Macs, Windows 7 is a definite shoft towards Macism.

... they do smirk when they see the GD working on a PC...

I'm from a similar background to you in some ways: I trained on Macs way back but have always worked in big companies where IT don't want to support two platforms. I've stuck with PCs since I went independent and will continue to do so, partly out of sheer bloody-mindedness on account of the existence of people like this ^ (and the fact that they're fine).

Macs tend to be more common in the industry and to be honest I prefer Macs over Pcs. Saying that I've just put Windows on to my Mac but only for testing websites in IE without having to track down a PC every time.

In my last design job, we used all PCs and for some weird reason on cold morning it didn't start properly the first time. I did use to find that PCs would crash more but to be honest if you can use InDesign, Photoshop etc, it doesn't matter what you use.

Back