Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The only designer in the building

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Gareff, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Gareff

Gareff New Member

Morning all,

I am the sole designer at a firm in Nottingham and its pretty much been 2 years since I've spoken with likeminded people.

No-one ventures near my office as they are scared of my Mac.

It melts your brain a little over time being all isolated and what not, so thought I'd turn up here to see if I'm the only one.
    To see what you chaps are up to and offer up my words of wisdom.

Oh and our dishwasher at work is on the fritz and my cup tastes like salt :(

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Morning Gareff! Good to have you here mate (y)

3. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Hi Gareff, we feel for you, mate. Welcome!

4. Gareff

Gareff New Member

Cheers guys.

Oh and the dishwashers fixed :)

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Ours was on the blink last week.
    Wasn't washing properly on the lower rack.
    Turns out that there's a secondary filter that I'd not seen which had become blocked.
    Works much better now and cleans through to the squeak. ;)

BTW. Welcome.

6. Pete Medcalf

Pete Medcalf New Member

7. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Oh.... We have a Siemen's 3 in 1 Auto.

It's a few years old now but besides the filter we've had no real issues and we've been very happy with it.
    What are you running? Do you have any pictures you could share?

8. Gareff

Gareff New Member

I didn't realise you were so into your dishwashers Scotty.

Ours is a ProAction! Never heard of the brand and the only thing that squeaks is the door...

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Totally Gareff!

I really dig my white goods.
    You can find me hanging around Currys most nights and weekends. ;)

10. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

:LOL:

11. Gareff

Gareff New Member

[​IMG]
    I knew I'd seen you around :p

12. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

LOL! That be me. :D

13. eddypeck

eddypeck Member

Hi, I've been in a similar situation in the past. so I get where you're coming from. I was also freelance for 7 years before going back into an employed roll so I know where you're coming from. Probably the worse thing I found was reassurance that you're doing OK and the worry that as you're going on you're not evolving anymore. In some ways it's harder than being freelance as you work around others and feel there should be more inclusion/feedback, but when you're freelance it's easier to accept you're on your own.

I now work with 3 other designers, all younger than me and more dynamic which is great to feed off their enthusiasm and be reminded of what I used to be like, lol. Whilst being able to keep them on the straight and narrow with my years of experience.

Hang in there though if it's a good enjoyable job.

14. Gareff

Gareff New Member

Your not wrong there Eddy, you get lost in your own little bubble going round in circles.

My only previous experience working with other designers has been competitive, not working as a team and all came across rather hostile. I haven't been in a situation where I've been able to share and grow.

My father in law is a graphic designer, but being from a different generation, has a very different outlook on things. He is not a fan of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I like all the colours :)