The most important lesson to learn in web design

br3n

I'm curious to know what your biggest "ahhhh that makes sense" style moments are or have been (if you can remember :p)

Mine was pretty simple and with regards to using the position declaration, in particular applying a position:relative to the containing element of something you need to move.

Sounds obvious now but it got me!

I recently found myself thinking 'Ahhhh that's how that 'actually' works' with display: inline; (in use with multiple divs of the same height in a single row) I'm not sure why it confused me before as it's pretty obvious how it's used. I just don't think I had much need for it before so I never learned it but you know, it's all good now ;)

Previous to that it was also the same as yours; using the position: absolute; position: relative; on two div's :p

Forget the Fold, it's a website not a newspaper!

If your website is informative and/or well designed, the user WILL scroll for more.

Usability - it's make or break.

If you conduct proper user testing, and every project absolutely should be user tested, it can be astonishing to find out how people use (or struggle to use) a web site in the most unexpected ways. It doesn't matter how good you think your design is, this counts for nothing if people struggle to use it out in the wild.

guru24 said:

If you conduct proper user testing, and every project absolutely should be user tested, it can be astonishing to find out how people use (or struggle to use) a web site in the most unexpected ways. It doesn't matter how good you think your design is, this counts for nothing if people struggle to use it out in the wild.

Wise words, Ive often seen some people do some very strange things with a mouse in their hand (computer mouse.. :p)

For me, it was the week I decided to sit down and learn CSS, and got out of using tables.
That was one big ah ha! for me! Opened up a lot of doors, and continues to with every project all these years later.

@br3n - @guru24 - @Romak

guru24 said:

Im currently working on a little side project, which maybe of use to you guys, If I dont remember, drop me a pm in a week or so, should have something to show you by then.... all very hush hush :) hehe.

Sunburn said:
@br3n - @guru24 - @Romak

Im currently working on a little side project, which maybe of use to you guys, If I dont remember, drop me a pm in a week or so, should have something to show you by then.... all very hush hush :) hehe.

That's a bit of a tease. Any clues?

Hey Guru, I'm working towards affiliate status of a usability service that I stumbled upon by chance about a month or so ago, so far i have been blown away by how good it is, so, looking to spread the word and hopefully earn a little pocket money at the same time. I need to get a website up and running first mind, copy-writing etc etc, fingers crossed.

Sunburn said:
Hey Guru, I'm working towards affiliate status of a usability service that I stumbled upon by chance about a month or so ago, so far i have been blown away by how good it is, so, looking to spread the word and hopefully earn a little pocket money at the same time. I need to get a website up and running first mind, copy-writing etc etc, fingers crossed.

Sounds promising, I hope it works out for you. This is vital work but I still find that it's an uphill struggle getting people to understand the importance of good usability. All too often we see this taking a back seat and many design/dev teams just don't get user-centred design, preferring to be self-indulgent instead.

Bad usability = lost business - it's as simple as that.

I guess the good news is that with so much poor web usability still in evidence, there's massive potential for putting it right.

@ guru24, Yeah normally I'm first to be critical of such affiliate schemes as on the whole they don't offer much in the way of value to the actual joe internet user, however, this particular service i have been using, has proven invaluable to me in the past few weeks, hence forth my excitement in sharing the wealth so to speak :)

Yes this is the right thing to start with CSS and play with every tool and get something new...

I do believe also "Bad usability = lost business" so ever try to something new.

Back