The ITV Rebrand Goes Live

T

Tony Hardy

What does anybody make of the ITV rebrand? Apparently it went live today.
ITV Rebrand | Creative Review
I have to be honest, I really like the main ITV logo and dropping the 1 from the end of it. That was redundant anyway. I need to see it all in motion properly.

What do you like or dislike about it?

I'm not sure about the logo itself at the moment, might need to let it grow on me for a bit. It's not TERRIBLE though.
I do enjoy that pug ident though. Precious little thing.

I just hate the fact that its stuck in the corner of the screen all the time.. honestly do they think we're that stupid that we don't know what channel we're on, or know how to check on our tv's... it's not the only channel thats doing it either. Combined with the more common in show adverts for 'other shows' they might as well just make the 'show' into a even smaller letterbox and use the bottom for full time adverts...

Its going to be a grower I think. After seeing it when it was released towards the end of last year I wasn't convinced, now seeing it, and seeing it with some moving footage and actually doing what it is supposed to do, it does kind of work.

Levi, bugs like that on the top of the screen have no become a common factor that I dont think we will ever get rid of.
I love the typeface that has been created, not the name, but then I guess TOWIE has been one of ITVs biggest hits, and this immortalises it for ever now doesn't it...

As long as we don't start having as many adverts as American TV, a little bug works for me.
The typeface is great. I really love the palette of the actual ITV logo too.

Must admit i'm growing into it. However, the logo on the score card last night on the Utd Vs West Ham looked very poor. I've been doing some testing on their new site with a ipad3, nexus4 and iphone. Seemed to work great. Desktop version was a little odd in areas though. Respect to them for pushing something so different though. No one likes change and I think a lot of people are stuck in that mode at the moment.
I think the logo being in the corner all the time is Americanised. I watch a lot of US sport and they've done it for years. AMC do it too...I love a good walking dead episode!

glenwheeler said:
I think the logo being in the corner all the time is Americanised. I watch a lot of US sport and they've done it for years. AMC do it too...I love a good walking dead episode!
I haven't tried out their new site yet and didn't see the logo on the scorecard for the match last night.
In regards to it being Americanised, channels on Sky have been doing it for years? Sky Sports, Sky One, Kerrang, E4, they all have logos up top and a few popups now and again.

Don't think it really bothers me that much, as long as adverts don't take up more space on the TV than actual shows!

I don't like it. As they are letters I am drawn to read them but they are very difficult to read.
I also find it's style very tacky, I thought the old brand was much better.
There was a discussion on another forum where someone made a good point, a channel such as ITV shouldn't need a DOG on screen all the time. It has a long history, a strong EPG position and should be identifiable by it's programming like the other legacy channels are and that ITV seem to have lost it's way, which I kind of agree with.

Berry said:
Doesn't bother me, past caring
I don't really watch a lot of TV, so it's not something I'm highly concerned about, it's a nice departure though!

I barely watch ITV (I think the only thing I watch is The Chase), so it doesn't affect me much. The new logo is growing on me though, since I hated it when it was first shown off.

Matt Harle said:
(I think the only thing I watch is The Chase), so it doesn't affect me much.
I love The Chase. Joe = Mark Labett. He hates it when I say that to him!

Tony Hardy said:
I love The Chase. Joe = Mark Labett. He hates it when I say that to him!
Probably the best quiz show out there. Pointless is excellent too. And I'll remember that! :p

I've never seen Pointless? What's that? :) Where do I find it?

The new branding is growing on me, but it looks like a logo for some foreign channel or something. Especially on the football. And I agree the "1" was a bit pointless, and confusing when it was first implemented when it went from ITV aka "channel three" to "ITV1". Pressing 3 to watch ITV1, inbetween BB2 and Channel 4 (or just 4 as it's now known). Gha!

Yeah I wasn't at all sure about it when it first appeared but actually it's not too bad. The typeface is actually really nice but the logo really makes you think of shows like TOWIE and all their 'brain fluff' shows and I think that logo will struggle to represent anything gritty, political or serious. Perhaps that's the point though - maybe the station has had much more success with light entertainment shows and wants to visually rebrand itself to attract more viewers to these kind of programmes?

Levi said:
I just hate the fact that its stuck in the corner of the screen all the time.. honestly do they think we're that stupid that we don't know what channel we're on, or know how to check on our tv's... it's not the only channel thats doing it either. Combined with the more common in show adverts for 'other shows' they might as well just make the 'show' into a even smaller letterbox and use the bottom for full time adverts...
I remember when Plasma TVs used to get screen burn because of the plain white logos. So they definitely wanted to remind you what you were just watching.

Blah. I don't like it at all... what's with the type? It just doesn't seem to be working.. the thickness, curves...
As for the colours I really don't get how or why the selected those ones... I mean, what's the green/brown colour in the T ?

GilmoreVisuals said:
As for the colours I really don't get how or why the selected those ones... I mean, what's the green/brown colour in the T ?
I think that might be the only part of the palette I'm not 100% excited about. It's a bit sludgy/puke coloured and totally unrelated to anything? Not really sure on that.

Back