The Illustration Thread

Jimlad

The old one is missing, presumed... gone. So here's a new one. As well as people posting their illustration work (personal or otherwise) it might be nice to encourage a little more critique too. Anyway, I'll kick off this new thread (unless the old one has been found and merged with it in the future, and if you're reading this from the future I say hello to you, time traveller) with a time-lapse video of my latest doodle-come-illustration of old web-head. The pattern on the costume is just so therapeutic to map out... enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtI1tv9P7Y&feature=youtu.be

Recently I've been wanting to improve my skills, specifically with regard to working with vectors. I've always worked in Photoshop, only venturing towards Illustrator when I absolutely have to, sometimes blatantly abusing it's tracing feature, which to be fair works quite well with my cartoony style most of the time, but it's not as clean and its not the best way to work. So I'm boning up on drawing in Illustrator, and I've found a rather brilliant video tutorial I thought was worth sharing.

Part 1: Comic Style Inking in Adobe Illustrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZr7fDcFu4&app=desktop

Part 2: Comic Style Colouring in Adobe Illustrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbps0vgfh6o&spfreload=10

That's a good couple of tut's on using AI for comic style Jim and it's very similar to the way I work although I tend to use the pen tool more than than the brush.
Even before my Wacom bit the dirt I'd use the pen but I guess that with you using PS that that's right up your street mate.

I think if you can get your head around AI you may get lured away by vectors as it's so editable and easy to tweak and the fact that vectors are non lossy is a bonus especially in the eyes of the people that are commissioning you.

Looking forward to seeing what you do and hearing how you find the transition.
AI can be a bit of a shit to get your head around at first but I found it was worth it. :)

Great stuff, Jim.

I'm the same as you, I tend to stick with the hand-drawn linework, but must try using Ai more. Like Scotty says, clients seem to be asking for vector
files more and more these days.

AI can seem a bit daunting and mechanical at first but there's a lot you can do if you just learn the basic functions.
For comic style stuff that's all you need really and then the extra bits you can learn along the way are a bit of a bonus which can make your life a bit easier and your workflow quicker.

The good thing about it is that if you draw a line you can tweak it instead of hitting undo and drawing again and there's something quite satisfying when you zoom in and the line is still perfect.

I'm sure that if you get over that learning hump you'll become to love/hate it just like me. ;)

Thanks guys. Yes clients do seem to want vector files by default these days, even if they're not sure why sometimes! I'm going to be doing a lot of vector work in the immediate future, so I thought it'd be best to improve my skills/confidence/speed. My previous work done in illustrator was slow and clunky with an embarrassing lack of depth or detail. Here's what I was able to produce as a result of watching the above tutorials, all straight into illustrator using the brush and pencil tools, only using the pen tool for adjustments.
VectorFox_zpss6ggjl2z.png

Meanwhile, here's something else I've been working on for my wedding. Instead of table numbers, we're having forest animals. It's all part of the theme.
These were drawn in Photoshop, auto traced in Illustrator, and the linework removed.
11148611_991516627525704_4790517046116291425_n_zpsxbveduft.jpg

BTW. If you want to make your line a bit more human then you can always use some of the brushes.
I use the pencil/charcoal ones a fair bit but you have to remember that when using the rough edged ones that they can increase your file size a lot if you go REALLY mad with them.

Thanks very much both!

This is the last thing I think I'll post until someone else does, so I'm not hogging the thread lol. But I found these amazing videos the other day of a comic panel of Michelangelo from the Ninja Turtles being drawn, inked and coloured in photoshop. It's beautiful work and the 2nd and 3rd videos he talks you through it all and the ideas behind what is being done and how. Definitely worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbB7toVq4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3YevvG-Nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkMwlHD84uE

Ok, this is my attempt. I've updated a logo I did recently where the budget only allowed a simple cartoon. Quite pleased with it, not
sure about the eyes though.

Attachments

• Betsy's1 copy.png
    Betsy's1 copy.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Betsy's copy.png
    Betsy's copy.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 14
You do that in AI Wardy?

Looking bloody good mate!

BTW. One thing I've found about running type on a path on banners.
When the end of the banner has vertical ends, AI has a handy feature to adjust the way the text orientates.
The "Ice Cream" text looks like it's set to "rainbow" in the options you can set it to "Skew" so that it keeps the text vertical but also fits it to the path really smoothly.
A bit of a handy feature.

Found this just now and thought I'd post as it seems to go with the PS v AI thing.
Not saying one is better than the other as it's horses for courses.

HERE

Thanks Scotty, I'll look into that type thing.

Yes, for the first one the dog was hand-drawn and then traced for speed, as they weren't paying much.
The second one all Ai.

Awesome stuff Wardy, nice improvement. There's much more detail and subtle shading to the character, I especially like the new nose and the alterations to the ice-cream colours, as well as the dog's new "chocolatey-er" brown tone.
Nice infographic Scotty, though I think the creator clearly favours Illustrator! And he doesn't seem to know about the History Panel or "Step Backwards" in Photoshop...

Thanks Jim. Yes, pretty pleased with that, took me an age to do though, client wouldn't have wanted to pay that much!

Yep Jim. Very AI biased.
A bit like comparing a hammer to a screwdriver really.

@Wardy. Think of it that you're getting paid to learn mate. Once you get your head around how AI works it gets a LOT quicker especially when you find some functions that suit your workflow and the way you work and keyboard shortcuts are a massive help.
You got the skills mate. It's just a case of using different tools.

Here's some more AI practice. I start a new job tomorrow where they'll want everything vectored, so I'm kind of in cram mode. Can't take credit for the original artwork of course, the very last issue of Amazing Fantasy which was the comic debut of Marvel's most beloved and exploited hero, Spider-Man! I basically recreated it with a few very slight tweaks here and there and some more details on the colour. I changed the direction the loose web is flowing too, always annoys me.
vectorspiderman_zpsjfsj6ih7.png

Thanks Scotty! I'm really pleased with it. In an ever so slight change of direction, I'm practicing digital painting this evening. With a very repetitive song going round and round and round in my head... I'm Ennery The Eighth, I am!
Ennery_zpsu9ustsye.jpg

Back