The History of Interactive Computer Graphics

Maarten de Haas

Hi Everyone,

Interested in computers, graphics, animations, games, vr, interactives and internet?

Computer graphics, animations and interactions are now self-evident. You just have to pick up your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer or what else and you feel intuitively when you have to swipe, click, drag or pinch zoom. You also expect nothing less than nice interfaces with smooth animations. But it wasn’t always like this…

There were times where there were no editors like Photo, Designer, Illustrator, or Photoshop, and even computers and animations of frames didn’t exist…

Last months I did quite some research and I wrote a blog series of six where I like to take you on a journey through time with our focus on learning about the development before and during the creation of computers, digital graphics, animations, graphical interfaces, graphics software, interactivity, 3D, a pinch of the first games, the creation of the internet and a touch of virtual reality.

I have made more than 110 illustrations for this series with Affinity Designer and also provide each part with at least one interactive to bring the events alive as good as possible for you.

Part 1 is out there now! Hope you like it and I’m sure you learn something new from it and be surprised by some events! There will be a new part every month from now. Enjoy!

English: History Interactive Computer Graphics - Part 1

Dutch: Geschiedenis Interactieve Computergraphics - Deel 1

hoablog-praxinoscope.jpg

And yes!! Part 3 is just freshly published in both English as well as in Dutch! Hope you like it! In the end there will be 6 parts in total. Collect them all !

This time a very interesting time period with a lot of technical graphics innovations, a steady foundation of 3D graphics, techniques we still often use today, some things you might be surprised by, the beginning of the home console and PC market and more! Enjoy!

English: History Interactive Computer Graphics - Part 3
Dutch: Geschiedenis Interactieve Computergraphics - Deel 3

hoablog-maze-war.jpg

Working hard to finish my blog post on time, Going live this week! :giggle:
It's starting to look like I'm writing a book about interactives, 3d graphics, cgi, vr, games, animations and computers!

Back