The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

Mac's are built by designers for designers. Its a cult thing.

The way I see it is that PC's are not really a collective entity in themselves its more the operating system. In terms of hardware PC's are more like Lego with which you are free to build, Mac's are more like a logo tower where the blocks are glued together because someone else thinks thats what you need. The operating system is based on "How can we make this cool" rather than "How do we make this easy and quick"

People moan and moan about Windows, but it is the most user friendly and speedy operating system you can use. Otherwise I would use Linux for everything, we all would, because it is free.

Little timeout fact :) - Did you know that if you tasked a company to create linux for you from the ground up it would cost in the region of 600 million?

Anyways.. I am not a deisgner so its probably not my place to have an opinion. But unless there was something I absolutely needed that was available on a MAC that is not available or possible on a PC (such as software - adboe phtoshop for instance), then i would use a PC.

Personally I'm non-plussed with the whole mac malarky. I use one at college, and have a PC at home.

I really don't see much difference, obviously the styles are different, interface slightly, but they simply do the same functions.

I for one don't really care if I'm using a mac or a PC, I'll do the same things, the same way.

I really don't see much difference, obviously the styles are different, interface slightly, but they simply do the same functions.

I for one don't really care if I'm using a mac or a PC, I'll do the same things, the same way.

Interface is slightly different?! It's incredibly different! The only reason things are the same is because Windows decided to copy Mac since they started producing Vista. But still... they're not the same...?

Macs are much more elegant and simple IMO. I load my mac up in 15 seconds max. whereas my PC, about 4 minutes before it asks for a password. Macs have a lower specification because of their Linux OS; everything is much more lightweight. Although... i don't really see the use unless you're a designer/developer/movie editor/something similar. I don't see the point in having one because you like Apple, or because it boosts your social status.

It doesn't bother me if my PC takes a minute longer to load. The interface is indeed different, but I wouldn't say one was better than the other, in fact I prefer the PC interface, probably due to being used to it, but it's so much easier to locate programs that you have open.

Really?! never heard that before! honest!

i can locate all my apps instantly with either the dock, or just click "finder" then "apps" -which takes like 3 seconds-. fair does tho. i like people who like both. people who say that one is crap and the other is perfect annoys me!

bluecube said:
Darren one question have you EVER used a mac??

Indeed I have. Not long enough to need therapy, but long enough to notice that there was no right mouse button ;)

There is much a discussion about Windows 7 and how Micro$haft are stealing even more design ideas from Apple this time around, just to make the operating system harder to use.

Check this one for instance: What scares me about Windows 7 | The Digital Home - CNET News

Since you are a MAC user and probably have been for a while, you wont notice.

the real question is .. does it matter? You don't get any (as much as either side wish to argue this) benefits to using one platform over another, i've been working in this industry for over 10 years now and never seen any problems with using both, if you talk to some old print offset plate makers, they'll tell you that all the original print plates were done on a PC (or before PC a Unix box - I have seen one, they are very impressive) with a program called Platemaker (not to be confused with Pagemaker LOL).

Back then there was no problem with working on a PC and a Mac in unison (which I have done many times) to get the printed job done.

End of the story is that they are both useful and use them both, don't saddle yourself to one Operating System as sooner or later that system will create a flaw and you will be stuck, if you use multiple different Operating Systems then there will be no problem if one goes down :)

The most common problem on any computer is an ID-10T problem, the fleshing thing between the monitor and the seat.

tim-ater said:
Really?! never heard that before! honest!

i can locate all my apps instantly with either the dock, or just click "finder" then "apps" -which takes like 3 seconds-. fair does tho. i like people who like both. people who say that one is crap and the other is perfect annoys me!
You can instantly see which windows are open. You have to minimise to dock to see which windows are open, it shows you which programs are open though. Finder is fine, it's just the same as searching on start.

As I say, no real preference, possibly lean towards a mac for work and a pc for leisure, but I'm not really fussed.

You can instantly see which windows are open. You have to minimise to dock to see which windows are open, it shows you which programs are open though. Finder is fine, it's just the same as searching on start.

You can instantly see which windows are open on Mac OS X too... you press F4 (i think), and it shows you all the windows open.

Jazajay said:
Yeah well bring it on man, I'm a right clicka!!!!!! :D

Mighty Mouse !

There is only TWO things that are weird about OS X IMO...

1) You cant cut and paste files
2) You cant open a file by pressing ENTER

tim-ater said:
You can instantly see which windows are open on Mac OS X too... you press F4 (i think), and it shows you all the windows open.
Yeah, but that's 1 more thing you have to do compared with the PC. All you do is look down, it's on the start bar.

As I say, I'm no fanboy, they're both just operating systems to me.

Xenonsoft said:
Yeah, but that's 1 more thing you have to do compared with the PC. All you do is look down, it's on the start bar.

As I say, I'm no fanboy, they're both just operating systems to me.

Well you cant see whats on those windows. And we can do the same as you by looking in the dock. Apps that are open have a glowing orb and a bright icon, but you can make the dock show transparent icons for windows that are hidden.

It's not a 'we/you' thing at all.

I find looking down to the start bar much easier than clicking a button and viewing all the windows. That's my preference.

I fall on the side of Macs. I made the switch over in college and haven't looked back really. It all comes down to personal preference and how the different operating systems adapt to your own personal working processes. I find the mac OS very intuitive.

Ordered myself a new iMac yesterday, so I'm very excited!

Back