The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

He he fair enough, I liked the non sarcastic answer then lol.
Either way thank you for the answer :)

I on a PC both at work and at home. And I've always used a PC so I just feel more comfortable with them. I've tried Macs a few times but they're just not for me. Price is also a big factor, and I like playing games once in a while and gaming is quite limited on Macs.

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt mac. The operating system is stable, most of the software is second to none, and it looks beautiful both graphically and physically.

PC's :)mad:) are good for nothing but viruses and games.

Ouch.

i use mac. let's face it. Macs are much more effective and much easier to work with. 13.3" screen provides a much better view on a macbook than a PC could ever provide, and I have a 19" screen.

Plus, 15 seconds to load on the worst spec mac can supply, with even more apps than PCs have?!?! of course it's gonna be a mac!

i recently went back to pc when my mac was in repair, but they're so annoying. they load so many programs on start up, restricting you from doing anything for ages!

Mac all the way for me.

O.K. I actually feel like I have to actual have to jump in in the defense of the PC.
.....they load so many programs on start up, restricting you from doing anything for ages!
Well you can turn that off.
I only have AVG, Spyware doctor, the Thunder screen reader and Gmail notifier running on start up, the rest I have disbaled.

O.K I have MSN messanger running at the mo, which the baby sitter used, I should really turn that off, but when you do, it loads a lot quicker.

TBH 24" screen on my PC gives me the best view I would want, lol, but I don't use a Macbook, and probably never will, my laptop screen though is big enough, and widescreen so great for movies, but isn't that a mute point.

I'm one of those guys who likes to fiddle with the inside of the computers, and I would never run a high proformance web server on a Mac, I would, and have done, on a PC.

That and upgrading, or even just replacing parts for that, which TBH is the kicker is ~
1. Far quicker, 5 min trip to the shop up the road, Mac, a 5 week wait while I wait for it to arrive, OK maybe 2 weeks, but still not a trip up the road, which is an issue if you run a front end web sever and your PSU has just blown.

2. Cheaper.

Can you even get IE6 for the Mac?
I don't think you can, can you?
In which case you cant design for around 40% of your target audiance if you are a web designer. Humm..........

So you may say that the Mac is good.....blar blar blar..... but TBH it is not the most cost effective piece of kit you can get to do the same job, plus you have the gamming on the PC on top, which TBH for me takes it below the PC.

I think Windows 9 released in the begging of 2010 is going to change a lot of people opinions.

I'm preety sure it has face and voice recognition, just to log on.
It doens't need a keyboard or a mouse, you do need a monitor compatable though, as it is all touch screen, you can compare documents side by side and about 20 other user based improvements, it is what Vista should have been.

Jaz

touche!
i agree with quite a lot of the stuff you said... but i have some replies to those arguments...

gaming:
run boot camp and install vista for about £100 and you have gaming.

IE6+:
i searched it in google and i have 3, 4, 5, 6. useless to have all. should probably delete a few!

widescreen:
if you want widescreen you get a mac instead of a macbook, which is simply the best piece of technology i've ever witnessed.
to me, widescreen is useless if you dont have a good screen resolution. i have vista on a desktop and a 19" screen (i may've mentioned), and it's absolutely horrible. colours are horrible and out of touch, websites look pathetic, blah blah blah.

despite that, you sound purely like a windows kinda guy. i just want simplicity and ease, but if your pc gives you that, fair play.

i admit macs are better for some things and worse for others, but my macbook is the best thing i've ever purchased.

oh, and i agree, the mac is not the most essential kit to designing, it's the software. but i find it easier to use on a mac, so that's one more pro for me.

I will start off by saying that you are correct, like you are a Mac worshiper I am a PC worshiper. :D

I was under the opinion that Tredsoft did not work on the Mac?
Huh nice to learn something new, then in which case I will say that is slightly better than a PC, running Vista, if you are web designer, as Tredsoft won't run on Vista. :cry:

Again I have not used a Mac, so I applogise for my ignorance, I was under the impression though that gaming was quite limited, I actually asked my freind about gaming on a Mac, and TBH he is a Mac fanatic, lol, he literaly talks Mac retoritic in his sleep, subscribes to Mac world, has eveything that Apple offers, from the Iphone to the Mac and MacBook, and he reckoned it was very limited, but I suppose that technically is not the Mac in your solution, even though it is a solution. :)

But even though I have made some concessions TBH it's still down to the price, and more importantly the price of parts, along with the wait time that is still the determining factor for me.

well the gaming can be limited, but if you have the newer macbook (i do!!) then you get graphics cards inbuilt. that with screen res. is amazing!

but yeah, the price of a mac seems to be a bit excessive. I bought my new one with my student discount, costing me £601.13, but I did get the free iPod nano (chromatic) for £13.99 via rebate! i dropped it recently too and it broke my optical drive and lower casing, costing me £180 to repair! but still, my macbook is like my child

Mac at work and PC at home (well, 3 PCs in fact).

SInce they've come up with OSX, the whole thing has at long last become useable. I'll never forget OS 8 simply "disappearing" an application without even an error message, let alone a prompt to save work, new Mac's performance easily exceeded by the oldest of finance department's PCs, and those countless font problems which you English-speaking folks have luckily avoided.

Up until about 2003 I was absolutely sure all the Macs were overpriced cr*p with totally undeserved image of "computers for creative people". The prices are now reasonable the OS is stable and the machines, thanks to Intel, are reasonably quick, so to me there's no massive difference anymore.

Jazajay said:
O.K. I actually feel like I have to actual have to jump in in the defense of the PC.
Well you can turn that off.
I only have AVG, Spyware doctor

You're correct. You can turn that off, but at the same time, Macs don't need an anti spyware program, because you can't get any viruses!

So another pro for macs.

oh and get this one. Macs can run windows faster than windows can run itself!

I was reading PCPro about 2 months back I think, they had a Mac in thier reviews and if I can remember correctly was very overpriced, and incomparision to the PC's they reviewed was very under proformance for the price it was displayed at.

The only thing I came off thinking was I wonder if I can use a Mac screen on my PC and how much do they cost on thier own?

I was in PC world probably 3 months back, had a quick look at the Mac's and the cheapest 1 they had, well it was not cheap.

Maybe they have come down in price in the last few months, but everywhere I turn they tend to be more expensive then thier PC counterpart.

Maybe it's just the shops I go in :)

Jaz

Macs can run windows faster than windows can run itself!
Really, I was unaware of that, isn't that down to loads of factors though like ~ FBS speed optimization, processor, RAM, hard drive space etc?

You're correct. You can turn that off, but at the same time, Macs don't need an anti spyware program, because you can't get any viruses!
Yeah but AVG and the version of spyware doctor I use are free, Microsoft is also releasing Live care??? thier anti-virus suit for free in May, so, it's an an annoyance but not a major issue.

But I know Windows 7, will be extremely cut down, movie maker and all the crap that no one uses will be removed and if you still want to use them they will be free to download. This should help to speed it up and free space.

fair enough then! i'm glad that microsoft are paying attention to the fact that they should build on the basics but at the same time start again, if that makes sense.

Their OS should be the same, it's alright and I can just put up with it, but I think they should refurbish quite a few things in there, maybe even make a lightweight version for more picky users using a different coding format.

oh, and yeah i'm not sure as to why Macs can run windows quicker, it's just something I found out when my Uni friend installed XP and Vista on his Mac last year. It would easily load up quicker than anything else and was much more affective.

We have 12 staff here in the studio... all on PC. There's a mac in the office (little et style imac) - we use it as a paper weight.

We wheel it out the corner when a 'graphic designer' doesn't outline a font.

PC's (and CS3) can pretty much deal with everything coming through the inbox. It's never been an issue.

But you hear the shock in the 'graphic designer's voice when you explain his files aren't print ready, coz he hasn't outlined the fonts and he offer to supply them... 'No thanks mate - just resupply it properly - we're PC based here'... shock horror :)

Cheers
Jim

This one always shakes it up doesn't it? I'm a total PC man and have been since I started 8.5 years ago bar 3 months. I've worked for print companies and advertising agencies surprising all on PC's mainly because of the ease of work flow. The only time I used a Mac was for a creative agency where it was 3 annoying months of re-boots and freezing (I may have just been unlucky).

Never really have any problems with my PC or lap-top which I put down to retaining a good clean image on the machines.

Back