The future of flash?

Apple reportedly patented their own ideas & designs for a 3d technology some time ago (i think it was about 18-24 months ago). This might just have been to prevent anyone else thinking of the same system (apple are renowned for doing that) or because theyre developing their own technology, who know.

Either way I don't think we need to worry too much as it's unlikely we'll be buying 3D touch screen devices any time soon (not without wearing silly specs anyway). I haven't overlooked the Nintendo 3DS but a device that makes users feel sick with prolonged use isn't exactly great is it. lol

Welcome to the thread :icon_wink:

My point is if you can't run flash on ios in any form but you can run unity on ios even though it's through the app store and you can use unity for browsers what's the point of getting flash? You might be able to do some other things in flash but you could just use html5

Apple reportedly patented their own ideas & designs for a 3d technology some time ago (i think it was about 18-24 months ago). This might just have been to prevent anyone else thinking of the same system (apple are renowned for doing that) or because theyre developing their own technology, who know.

Either way I don't think we need to worry too much as it's unlikely we'll be buying 3D touch screen devices any time soon (not without wearing silly specs anyway). I haven't overlooked the Nintendo 3DS but a device that makes users feel sick with prolonged use isn't exactly great is it. lol
I'm not talking about THAT kind of 3D. I'm just taking about getting xbox kind of graphics in the browser which you cant get through web standards. Remember Flash has always been about going beyond web standards. Now that HTML has evolved into html5 things like animation and transition and (currently very simple / primative) video can be created in the browser without flash. My point was Flash hasnt just stayed still, it has evolved into something else again, heres the link: flash player 11 molehill demos - Google Search

My point is if you can't run flash on ios in any form but you can run unity on ios even though it's through the app store and you can use unity for browsers what's the point of getting flash? You might be able to do some other things in flash but you could just use html5
Of couse you can get 3D content through the App store, but often you have to pay for it which isnt very good if you buy something and then you dont enjoy playing it after a while, you've just wasted your money.

You can get the Unity library for Flash and if you can get next generation 3D through the devices browser without going through the App store then it gives the user more CHOICE and SAVES them MONEY. The way I see it thats a GOOD thing.

Of couse you can get 3D content through the App store, but often you have to pay for it which isnt very good if you buy something and then you dont enjoy playing it after a while, you've just wasted your money.

You can get the Unity library for Flash and if you can get next generation 3D through the devices browser without going through the App store then it gives the user more CHOICE and SAVES them MONEY. The way I see it thats a GOOD thing.

Yes but if apple block it in their browser it's taking away money from the app store then Unity makes more sense because you can use it for ios through the app store but you can't do that with flash.
I hope they don't but this is apple and they like control

This is really a Flash debate rather than a Unity debate. My points are Flash is evolving and innovating and has a future on (and outside) the web which goes far beyond web standards and HTML5. Some of the CSS3 transitions (seen as HTML5, but technically not) are no better than what Flash was 10 years ago. Flash has changed since then!!!

Flash is just a digital tool yet some people get really caught up in it or go as far as hating it. I'd rather have the choice of Flash and because it is on Andorid which is now the worlds NUMBER 1 mobile platform, then it isn't going to disappear like some people predicted.

This is really a Flash debate rather than a Unity debate. My points are Flash is evolving and innovating and has a future on (and outside) the web which goes far beyond web standards and HTML5. Some of the CSS3 transitions (seen as HTML5, but technically not) are no better than what Flash was 10 years ago. Flash has changed since then!!!

Flash is just a digital tool yet some people get really caught up in it or go as far as hating it. I'd rather have the choice of Flash and because it is on Andorid which is now the worlds NUMBER 1 mobile platform, then it isn't going to disappear like some people predicted.

I think it's misguided to simply believe that the thing that will 'kill' flash is CSS3 transitions, in my opinion a small amount of problems with flash are to do with CSS. What's Flash used for most on the internet? Video, Audio and games. What does HTML5 cater for? Video, Audio and Canvas. You can create brilliant 2D games using Canvas and Javascript takes a look at Rawkets. Also, once their is further support for WebGL 3D hardware accelerated games can begin to take shape.

As for video and audio, you can use these more or less now, the only problem is compatibility. Because things like MP3 isn't an open format and the browser makers have to pay to use the format, corporations like Apple can really only afford to do so while Mozilla cant. The .Ogg format is an open source format which is one of the reasons why there is a push for this. Likewise video things like MP4 is a closed format while Theora is not.

Once these things have been addressed I think that will hurt Flash a lot.

I think it's misguided to simply believe that the thing that will 'kill' flash is CSS3 transitions, in my opinion a small amount of problems with flash are to do with CSS. What's Flash used for most on the internet? Video, Audio and games. What does HTML5 cater for? Video, Audio and Canvas. You can create brilliant 2D games using Canvas and Javascript takes a look at Rawkets. Also, once their is further support for WebGL 3D hardware accelerated games can begin to take shape.

As for video and audio, you can use these more or less now, the only problem is compatibility. Because things like MP3 isn't an open format and the browser makers have to pay to use the format, corporations like Apple can really only afford to do so while Mozilla cant. The .Ogg format is an open source format which is one of the reasons why there is a push for this. Likewise video things like MP4 is a closed format while Theora is not.

Once these things have been addressed I think that will hurt Flash a lot.

Its obviously a big issue and one that there are pages and pages of articles about.

Your assuming that HTML5 video, audio and canvas performance is better than flash. This is open to debate, but there are lots of reasons why flash video is better than html5 for instance YouTube API Blog: Flash and the HTML5 <video> tag
Canvas is a very neat feature but its not nessisarily going to suddenly outperform flash for all games and experience sites. It does have its own performance issues which is why most games on the net use flash still. WebGL 3D is exciting also and shows potential but again its still early on and there's already a huge number of flash enabled devices and computer users out there. I'm not saying one technology is better than the other but to suddenly declare flash as dead or about to die is quite ignorant in my opinion.

You have made some important points about the html5 codes for video and audio. Hopefully the open formts will become the standard but until then this battle is going to further slow down html5 from being a finalised standard. In the meantime flash is developing and innovating and will continue to find a place on the web or on devices.

it's so funny to see how cool javascript sliders and silly jquery animations are all of a sudden modern and cool, yet it was all done is flash in 2001 :)

I know there're SEO issues with using flash but still, it's not even a problem if one know what he's doing ;)

I know there're SEO issues with using flash but still, it's not even a problem if one know what he's doing ;)

ye you're right, this is what I was saying about it's poor integration with html, but as with everything there is ways around it but it's just irritating and difficult.

does anyone else feel like they were expecting something much more impressive from AS3?
I feel it's been a bit of a cop out just doing the same as AS2 but in a completely different way?

does anyone else feel like they were expecting something much more impressive from AS3?
I feel it's been a bit of a cop out just doing the same as AS2 but in a completely different way?
NO! That is a pretty ill-informed statement. :icon_hide: The difference between the 2 versions of the language is huge and makes the AS3 version of the language much more fast and powerful giving developers a massive leap in potential. What exactly were you expecting? The possibilities from AS3 is virtually infinate (unless it involves being on an ipad within the browser... although there is the iOS packager for Flash :icon_wink:)

I just found that after having spent ages learning AS2, AS3 was completely different and I really struggled to get my head around it and I couldn't really see (apart from speed) what the benefits are, perhaps i need to give it more of a chance?

Back