The Economic Crisis in the World of Graphic Design...

Slightly off-topic (especially considering your bad news, Berry), but I heard an interesting piece of advice today, from a talk by Craig Barrett, Chairman of Intel:

"This my 11th recession. The principle to tackle them has been the same every time. You cannot save your way out of a recession. You can only innovate out of a recession. Intel R&D budgets will remain the same."

Not many of us will have R&D budgets as such, but the basic idea is clear: Battening down the hatches is necessary, but you will only succeed in a downturn if you carry on taking risks, innovating and investing in your skills.

Food for thought.

Wolf.

My take on this for what it's worth... I've noticed a more positive attitude with my clients, like it's been the push they need to sort out their image and marketing. In an era that has seen everyone believe they can handle their own design, after all they've got a computer, Word, Front Page and Comic Sans! how hard can it be.... Thankfully it looks like NOW they realize the only way they are going to survive is to show themselves as a professional entity and to push themselves in front of their customers with strong branding.

As well as freelancing I'm employed in an IT company as senior web designer - I've never been so busy! E-commerce websites are a hot topic, companies see that as a quick and easy way to increase sells. For freelancers with low overheads it could be good times ahead, just be careful make sure you contract, take a deposit that covers your core value, and balance on delivery 30 and 60 day terms are a No no!

Back