The Dovecot Studio

br3n

Found this on an architecture/design blog and its right up my street so thought I'd see what others felt.

dovecotsudio_6-500x749.jpg

dovecotsudio_1.jpg

Article and more pics:
The Dovecot Studio, Sufffolk, by Haworth Tompkins: AJ Small Projects shortlist #3-- The Architectural Review

I like the idea, not sure I like the choice of red/brown/orange. Would have gone for something completely contrasting rather than being almost but not quite the same shade

Its rusted steel so without reading the article (im a sucker for a pretty picture) but my guess is although a contrast in material is staying with the wabi sabi theory. (japanese theory that everything is beautiful whatever stage of ware it may be in, for example rust = good)

I like it... broken down, delapadated building with a seamingly broken/worn out skin.

Now that's where I'd have done it different, I'd have had the new contrasting with the old, esepcially considering the windows/doors don't follow your theory of broken skin etc.

Think of the Sagarda Familia in Barcelona (Gauid's church) in how they're finishing off his work but they're not trying to emulate the same style or a barn conversion where they're sympathetic but modern in their approach.

Oh, it's strange. And the form of the house is unusual.
I think as well that it could be nicer with a different color for the "added part".

Have to say I agree with you Levi, I personally would have gone for complete contrast, I can even imagine a big concrete box similar tadao andos row house (pic below) encased within the old, worn remains of the previous building.

fq20081024a3a.jpg

PS the original post (dovecot studio) is a studio, not a house which changes the "brief" i guess.:)

Back