The average cost of design per hour....

On average, what is your hourly design rate?

• Up to £10

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • £11 - £20

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • £21 - £30

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • £31 - £40

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • £41 - £50

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Over £51

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters
One of the main problems is that today design is seen as 'easy', hence the number of amateur 'bedroom designers' offering, ahem, "professional" design at a pittance. Thankfully there are still plenty of clients out there who value design and a designers' expertise, the hard part is finding them. But, saying that, once you've found one, they'll probably be able to connect you to others.

Thank you. I guess it's a case of knowing your stuff and sticking in there until you find some decent clients. Sorry to drive this thread off topic. I have posted another thread on this subject.

I usually charge 1 rate for all, but most projects are quoted in full which has cost me but is a fair way to price.

totally depends on the client and there budget offcourse, here in Holland it's usually between 40-50 euros for a pro freelancer.

Actually rate depend on work and professionalism. IF you have full confident to make any design for working like Coca Cola. I think it will help you to pay the higher rate.

Pitamaas Creative Agency based in Punjab in India provides expertise in broad range of graphic designing services for your website that allows your website to speak and peek into the user’s mind.

(LINK REMOVED)

Groan! :(

I'm no marketing professional or anything but even I can see that you may be selling your services in the wrong place all together.
You are essentially trying to sell your design service to a forum of professional designers.
We do this for a living.
I mean, would you go to a cobbler to try to sell them shoes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised by how little a lot of people are charging.

£30 an hour is quite cheap, imo.

It depends whether you are a sole trader or a limited company etc, with staff wages to pay, business rates and so on. If it is the latter then £30 p/h would not be feasible.

I am a sole trader, I charge a set rate on a project by project basis but I do work out my quotes based on a £35p/h rate and £30p/h for amendments.

I must be doing ok then, as I charge £50 an hour, design only, print quoted separately with a 100% markup.

I didn't know you were a sole trader, I thought you ran you own printers for some reason? Must be due to your superior knowledge of design for print ;)

Oh yeah, printing costs are quoted completely separately from design costs. They depend on how much the printers quote, which I have no control over.

An obvious point with regards to a designer's charges is the 'calibre' of clients they have. Obviously, if a designer has clients with very large pockets, wallets and purses, then charging under £50p/h would be foolish. I wouldn't charge a new start-up the same rate as a large, established corporation. If you can't make some extra buck off a big client, then what's the point?

Other factors include; your valued worth, quality of your work, professionalism, experience etc, etc.

Back