Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Apprentice in Margate

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Just caught up with The Apprentice and the episode based on Margate, I can't believe how un-creative their campaigns were! With a bit of research surely the teams could have found out about the towns plans to promote the arts & culture scene, with the developments for the Turner Contemporary.

Whilst not all the locals in Thanet are overjoyed at the amount of money being spent on the Turner Contemporary (whilst shops in local High Street's close down each month) it is an area that the Council are investing in, so surely it would have made sense to create a campaign about this new development in the town.

Aside from the lack of message both teams went with, the designs for the posters were soooo bad, I know they probably didn't have long to put them together & I doubt it was the actual designers fault, the concepts were just plain terrible!!

I might make my own Margate tourism campaign just to prove that Margate is better than the lack of inspiration & creativity that was shown by both teams in The Apprentice. (I'm a bit late with this thread but as been away this was my first chance to view the episode)

2. tim

tim Senior Member

haha, you should greg!

power to the people! ... of margate.

loving the fact they chose to target the gay community, but as soon as they went to Sir Alan they realised that they'd just singled out about 70% of the margate tourists. :p

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

As soon as I heard that an episode was being filmed in Margate I was sure one of the teams would be focused on the Turner Contemporary and the re-development of the old town. There's actually a few events in Margate that could have lent itself to a summer re-generation campaign too, beach volleyball they have each year, the kite festival, jazz festival, quad bike racing, there was plenty of potential, it just seems like nobody actually bothered to research Margate and just relied on some really weak ideas.

4. tim

tim Senior Member

but to be fair, how long do they have to brainstorm and come up with a relevant idea?!

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Probably not long, but all they'd have to do is jump online for 5 minutes, that would have been my first stop, see what the town is doing to promote tourism now, see what's planned for the future, and between the two see what can be done to bring them together, it's not rocket science, surely?!

I'd also be thinking about how other British seaside destinations have brought tourism back, like St.Ives with the Tate Gallery. Maybe I'm being over critical as I live here and know what's going on here, but the state of those posters and leaflets, it was just embarrassing!!

Having said that all of the creative tasks on The Apprentice end up looking appalling, even tasks where they had someone with industry experience like the product design ones in previous series'.

6. tim

tim Senior Member

nah you're not being over-critical, you're right, totally.

i believe i'd just find it hard to do a brief like that, knowing that 5 minutes wasted (if they didn't know where to look) may mean they get fired...

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm confident any four members of Design Forums could have done a better job than either of those teams! The Apprentice just seems to be full of people with no common sense or creativity, not sure if I'll bother watching all the other episodes I missed now.

8. tim

tim Senior Member

oh but you'll miss the awesomeness that is JAMES!

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'll try one more episode tonight, fingers crossed it gets better :blink:

10. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

I really don't get how he managed to make it to the final four.:confused: He is very funny though, you should watch it just for him alone Greg.

EDIT: Woups sorrry, kinda ruined it for you there Greg.. :D But I guess you already know who won it.

11. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

I agree with you there, they do always seem to lack common sense every year.

Maybe things just seem more blatant and easier when you're watching from the outside than they actually are when you're there with everyone arguing and trying to prove themselves.

The interviews are always a giggle to watch :)

12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah you could be right, always easier to judge from this side of the camera lens I guess :D

From all the series' I've watched I think Tim Campbell who won a few years ago was the strongest contestant/apprentice, he knew how to handle the arguments and back stabbing of everyone trying to get to the top as well as having some common sense! Maybe there's just more applicants who just want to be on TV now?

13. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

Yeah, just look at Philip from this years show, always seemed to be in the limelight wanting to sing, act or dance in every task, maybe that's just how he is generally, who knows...

14. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm yet to experience that! I watched episode 1 before I went away traveling, and watched the Margate episode today, any episodes from this series you'd recommend? ..or all just the same sort of thing?

15. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

Ah right, I'd say Episode 5 is defiantly worth a watch - They had to come up with a new breakfast cereal and TV ad, I won't say anything else :p

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

:eek: I'll check that one out!

17. sarah

sarah Member

Yes definitely the one to watch! haha

18. I guess this whole "Apprentice" thing just passed me by really... never cared about it to tell truth :) i'm glad that others find it amusing / entertaining :) I just put it in the same box as Big Brother and all those other types of shows (including all the extra rubbish that E4 produces for Big Brother) and then put that box in a furnace and watch it burn :p :lol:

19. Greg

Greg Active Member

Wow watched episode 5 last night, I know now who Phillip is/was!!!
    I thought the Margate task was bad, I completely missed Pants Man! What a joke!! Thought Captain Squawk was actually pretty good, shame they couldn't pull off the advert a little bit better, but at least 5 times better than Pants Man in any case! :D

20. Now thats a crime fighting duo! Move over Batman and Robin :lol: