Text/Callout advice needed.

ColeUK

Hey guys,

I am working on an advert for print at the moment and looking to find/create a textbox/callout.

In particular I am looking for a rectangular shaped box with rounded edges, and would like the callout part to have a 'Whisp' like appearance similar to the tail of a 'Genie' when he comes out a lamp.

Please see attached example:
geniecallout.jpg

Would such a callout be easy to create using Adobe CS4 or is there any similar designs already out there??

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Rounded edge rectangle using the shape tool, then use a pen tool to make a path of the whispy part. Merge the 2 elements and then create a stroke outline.

And you are done.

Yeh thought it was simple enough, newbie here and was inspired away from my adobe to attempt it!

Thanks for enlightening me!

Oh... And I forgot I am also curious about giving it all a smoky, whispy, fluffy effect too? Which will take more work, Any thoughts? Think there a few techniques online about such effects huh?

Rather easy effect... There's no need to go and merge shapes and stuff. There already is a standard balloon shape in Photoshop. You can add the little whisp by adding anchor points — to the already existing arrow — with your Pen tool. Do you need a more detailed explanation?

a3f4m8.jpg

Thanks for that, I think I can get on with it for now, good place to start, might make the 'Whisp' more rounded though then your example, but will just play around with it.

Its the smoke effect to the whole box which I might have more difficulty achieving, but can use shadow, greys etc...and some transparency probably to help achieve this effect? detail like this? :s

Looking for a more solid white box with some smoke effects to the corners and 'Whisp' and only a little transparency I guess.

_dsc2181smoke7_web.jpg

Only way to do realistic smoke is to get some incense/matches and photograph it on a black background or - if you want to do less post work - use a background with the same colour of your final image.

Cool I will stick with the callout box for now, and worry about texture another time (if at all), thanks for the input,

Tbh, Im such a newbie I can't even achieve the example by 'onartis' at the moment lol

I don't know your background but it seems to me that an intermediate knowledge of Photoshop — or Illustrator/Fireworks for that matter — is kind of a bare minimum to be a designer.

Onartis said:
Rather easy effect... There's no need to go and merge shapes and stuff. There already is a standard balloon shape in Photoshop. You can add the little whisp by adding anchor points — to the already existing arrow — with your Pen tool. Do you need a more detailed explanation?

I know how to manipulate the anchor points atm, but don't know how to get a rectangular callout with rounded edges like your example? How did u do it? I'm using Ps CS4?

Yeh understood, Onartis, it's early days, and I'm not intermediate in every technique yet. No harm in trying though, got to learn somehow. Thanks for the help. ;o)

Mine has rounded edges too :confused:

And if you don't want rounded edges draw a rectangle and add anchor points to create the whisp from scratch.

Onartis said:
Mine has rounded edges too :confused:

And if you don't want rounded edges draw a rectangle and add anchor points to create the whisp from scratch.

The callout option I was getting in Photoshop, was just Rounded/Oval....thats why i asked.

whatever you do... create it in illustrator or indesign and have a vector image to work from. you can import into photoshop anytime you want and edit there. avoid creating in photoshop as you will run into limitations if your resolution is too low.
all the best

Back