testing..

I'll just go bullet point :)

• Finer text in menu and footer is hard to read
  • header - why is the text top right an image?
  • homepage image is cropped off the bottom of my screen... ie I can't see half of it unless I scroll
  • Showcase pages could really do with more content, it's a bit empty of imagery, too much text compared to imagery - we're designers, not copywriters :)
  • Don't like the small text on showcase
  • About page... harsh as this sounds, you need a tidier desk image, it looks messy and in my opinion the stickers look a bit tacky...
  • Contact - needs a contact form in my opinion
  • Needs hyperlinks on some pages sorting out
  • Don't see the point in testimonials or the map personally
  • There are things you could do that would make it 'better' visually, like fading/sliding rather than on/off on hover for example.
Biggest issue though... it's not responsive, it's a pita to navigate on a phone

Levi said:
I'll just go bullet point :)

• Finer text in menu and footer is hard to read[/*]
  • header - why is the text top right an image?[/*]
  • homepage image is cropped off the bottom of my screen... ie I can't see half of it unless I scroll[/*]
  • Showcase pages could really do with more content, it's a bit empty of imagery, too much text compared to imagery - we're designers, not copywriters :)[/*]
  • Don't like the small text on showcase[/*]
  • About page... harsh as this sounds, you need a tidier desk image, it looks messy and in my opinion the stickers look a bit tacky...[/*]
  • Contact - needs a contact form in my opinion[/*]
  • Needs hyperlinks on some pages sorting out[/*]
  • Don't see the point in testimonials or the map personally[/*]
  • There are things you could do that would make it 'better' visually, like fading/sliding rather than on/off on hover for example.[/*]
Biggest issue though... it's not responsive, it's a pita to navigate on a phone
* What's wrong with having to scroll down a page?

* I like organised chaos so me thinks the image is staying :) lol

* think it's works pretty well, I never designed it for a phone. The Internet wasn't developed for phones think mobile sites, spoil web design. They're clever and serve a purpose but spoil the initial design and feel for the website.

Thanks for the comments though Levi :)

* What's wrong with having to scroll down a page? - you only see some of the image (which could have been done with normal text by the way), it's just more convenient not to have to scroll for a 'hero image'

* I like organised chaos so me thinks the image is staying :) lol - but does it look professional?

* think it's works pretty well, I never designed it for a phone. The Internet wasn't developed for phones think mobile sites, spoil web design. They're clever and serve a purpose but spoil the initial design and feel for the website. - you might want to check the current phone to desktop viewing ratios, phones/tablets are used a LOT now to view the web

Levi said:
* What's wrong with having to scroll down a page? - you only see some of the image (which could have been done with normal text by the way), it's just more convenient not to have to scroll for a 'hero image'

* I like organised chaos so me thinks the image is staying :) lol - but does it look professional?

* think it's works pretty well, I never designed it for a phone. The Internet wasn't developed for phones think mobile sites, spoil web design. They're clever and serve a purpose but spoil the initial design and feel for the website. - you might want to check the current phone to desktop viewing ratios, phones/tablets are used a LOT now to view the web
I think i'll just go straight to the bullet point's
  • Image was easier as the font I'm using isn't always good with different browsers so i went for an image.
  • If you can't scroll then thats just lazy
  • 'hero image' - I was hoping more of an 'anti hero' obviously i didn't achieve that, think i'll try batman next time
  • viewing ratios - I understand that phones / tablets and even phablets are used a lot to the view the web but, i never set out to make it from them and the whole site isn't finished yet

thanks for the comments Levi ;)

Fine, clearly you're going to do it your way anyway, totally ignoring important aspects which GOOGLE consider in it's search algorithms....... just don't say I didn't warn you about the issues.... oh and there's scrolling for info and theres scrolling for no reason like your main image (which loses all seo benefits by being an image) :eek:

Levi said:
Fine, clearly you're going to do it your way anyway,
Remind you of anyone? ;)

NeonThunder said:
I think i'll just go straight to the bullet point's
  • Image was easier as the font I'm using isn't always good with different browsers so i went for an image.
  • If you can't scroll then thats just lazy
  • 'hero image' - I was hoping more of an 'anti hero' obviously i didn't achieve that, think i'll try batman next time
  • viewing ratios - I understand that phones / tablets and even phablets are used a lot to the view the web but, i never set out to make it from them and the whole site isn't finished yet
To the bullets:
  • You can get a Google font called Oswald that looks identical to what you're using. Use that for you header etc. There's no way in this day and age you shouldn't be making that header with HTML and CSS.
  • "If you can't scroll, that's just lazy." - meh, on the fence. Some people are scrollers, others aren't. Do you want to alienate people?
  • Hero image is alright. Doesn't lose any SEO benefit for being an image if you mark it up properly with alt text etc. That said, if you want to pull any organic rank at all, you're going to need some actual written content on your site.
  • You should've started with phones and scaled the site bigger. Needs to be responsive. Not much more to be said.

Levi said:
Fine, clearly you're going to do it your way anyway, totally ignoring important aspects which GOOGLE consider in it's search algorithms....... just don't say I didn't warn you about the issues.... oh and there's scrolling for info and theres scrolling for no reason like your main image (which loses all seo benefits by being an image) :eek:
It's that time again............ BULLET POINTS!
  • Of course I'm going to do it my way there's no other way as far as I'm concerned :p
  • There is a reason for scrolling............ It's so you can see the rest of the image ;)
  • SEO............. what's that?????? ;)

Tony Hardy said:
Remind you of anyone? ;)

To the bullets:
  • You can get a Google font called Oswald that looks identical to what you're using. Use that for you header etc. There's no way in this day and age you shouldn't be making that header with HTML and CSS.
  • "If you can't scroll, that's just lazy." - meh, on the fence. Some people are scrollers, others aren't. Do you want to alienate people?
  • Hero image is alright. Doesn't lose any SEO benefit for being an image if you mark it up properly with alt text etc. That said, if you want to pull any organic rank at all, you're going to need some actual written content on your site.
  • You should've started with phones and scaled the site bigger. Needs to be responsive. Not much more to be said.

• I shall check out Oswald :)
  • Alienate people................ If they want me to I'll photoshop them but its not using my skills to there best.
  • I understand the responsiveness thing, i shall look into it.

Anymore comments from anyone else and thanks for your comments tom...........oh yeah and yours levi ;)

NeonThunder said:
Anymore comments from anyone else and thanks for your comments tom...........oh yeah and yours levi ;)
Hey Tony, he clearly likes my advice more, he got my name right (well apart from the lower case L) :p

In all seriousness. I do take onboard what everyone has said.

It's not the final version of the website, but it's a start :)

I'm no web developer, Neon, so I can't comment on the technical side of things, but I can give you my thoughts as a user finding your site.
Pew! Pew! Here come the bullets.

;) Nice fix on the new header. The first header being an image made it look a tad blurry on my 21.5" iMac screen.
B) New font you're using is much easier to read!
:huh: I expected the menu button to be a drop down menu rather than change the whole screen. Jarred me a bit.
:mellow: I wonder if it's worth folding your Featured page into the Home page? Seems redundant on its own next to the Portfolio.
:nod: New About photo is much more professional-looking than the organised chaos one.
:( Busy people (potential clients) WILL try to look at this on their phone. It's totally worth considering mobile users as part of your core audience here.
:D Contact form, yay!

One more as it won't let me edit:
:( On your footer the social/copyright part isn't aligned with the logo/tagline part, it's off-centre.

bullet pointed again :)

Major Issue - Not responsive and the design you have gone for should be made responsive, there's plenty of 'similar' layouts which are responsive. Google are actually emailing people with their webmaster tools about non mobile sites and how it will affect rankings etc (I've had one but I know mine isn't responsive lol). The irony is that you're dealing with retina displays but not the main devices that have 'retina' displays lol

Menu - bit weird, I've seen the full screen menu before but yours is just random in size, it's half height and on the first page especially looks out of place with the full white text underneath the transparent background with the menu. Why the random yellow/orange hover on links?

Featured page - what's it for.... it's just a slideshow isn't it

Logo doesn't link to anywhere and it scrolls up the page while the fixed header stays put... seems a bit random.

Do you need such a large footer logo etc, seems more prominent than some of your actual work.

Inconsistent font sizes on body text, some of it's rather small

Grammar check needed - WRITE US AN EMAIL

HERE YOU FIND US - You can find us here - would make more sense

Jimlad said:
I'm no web developer, Neon, so I can't comment on the technical side of things, but I can give you my thoughts as a user finding your site.
Pew! Pew! Here come the bullets.

;) Nice fix on the new header. The first header being an image made it look a tad blurry on my 21.5" iMac screen.
B) New font you're using is much easier to read!
:huh: I expected the menu button to be a drop down menu rather than change the whole screen. Jarred me a bit.
:mellow: I wonder if it's worth folding your Featured page into the Home page? Seems redundant on its own next to the Portfolio.
:nod: New About photo is much more professional-looking than the organised chaos one.
:( Busy people (potential clients) WILL try to look at this on their phone. It's totally worth considering mobile users as part of your core audience here.
:D Contact form, yay!
Thanks for the comments, Im thinking of getting rid of the featured page. Getting around to the mobile friendly versions of it. Needs a lot of tweaking!

Jimlad said:
One more as it won't let me edit:
:( On your footer the social/copyright part isn't aligned with the logo/tagline part, it's off-centre.
Yeh I've noticed that myself, will fix it.

Levi said:
bullet pointed again :)

Major Issue - Not responsive and the design you have gone for should be made responsive, there's plenty of 'similar' layouts which are responsive. Google are actually emailing people with their webmaster tools about non mobile sites and how it will affect rankings etc (I've had one but I know mine isn't responsive lol). The irony is that you're dealing with retina displays but not the main devices that have 'retina' displays lol

Menu - bit weird, I've seen the full screen menu before but yours is just random in size, it's half height and on the first page especially looks out of place with the full white text underneath the transparent background with the menu. Why the random yellow/orange hover on links?

Featured page - what's it for.... it's just a slideshow isn't it

Logo doesn't link to anywhere and it scrolls up the page while the fixed header stays put... seems a bit random.

Do you need such a large footer logo etc, seems more prominent than some of your actual work.

Inconsistent font sizes on body text, some of it's rather small

Grammar check needed - WRITE US AN EMAIL

HERE YOU FIND US - You can find us here - would make more sense

I'd just like to point out in my post that i did say it wasn't ready for mobile devices yet lol and the retina displays is just a pain, I thought working from a template and customising it would be speed things up.

But I'm finding its slowing me down and causing me problems.

I've taken everything into consideration and I think to save me stress, Im going to build my site through a template that actually works and presents my work well and clearly and then i will at least have an online presence that i like and is good and simple to maintain, Whilst building the site i want over time. Inbetween client work!!!

I hate designing for myself!!!1

NeonThunder said:
Thanks for the comments, Im thinking of getting rid of the featured page. Getting around to the mobile friendly versions of it. Needs a lot of tweaking!

Yeh I've noticed that myself, will fix it.

I'd just like to point out in my post that i did say it wasn't ready for mobile devices yet lol and the retina displays is just a pain, I thought working from a template and customising it would be speed things up.

But I'm finding its slowing me down and causing me problems.

I've taken everything into consideration and I think to save me stress, Im going to build my site through a template that actually works and presents my work well and clearly and then i will at least have an online presence that i like and is good and simple to maintain, Whilst building the site i want over time. Inbetween client work!!!

I hate designing for myself!!!1
you're finally starting to understand why my website is taking me so long lol

Retina is easy, that's just 2x, you've got 3x and 4x to consider now to lol. Depending on your design you've also got 'mobile' retina (ie phones) and then there's desktop retina (ie macbook retina)... isn't this new responsive website lark a fun world lol

PS... I did read it but thought I'd add about it too :p

Back