Tattoo inspiration

bigdave

As a designer it's hard enough to design for yourself but this is a real head banger!! I'm getting a 3/4 sleeve tattoo for my birthday but don't have a clue where to start with the design!!

I originally thought a 50s pin up inspired design but now I'm thinking I'd like it to reflect me as a graphic designer rather than my admiration of boobs. Problem is I really can't think where to even start!

It'd be great if you could all shoot ideas at me of what design means to you, just to get the creative juices flowing.

Cheers

This is what stopped me getting a tattoo. I could never think of a design I'd be confident that I'd still like in 5 years time never mind 40 or 50! Good luck...

I've got 5 at the moment, all of which hold significant meaning but this ones causing headaches as I can't detach myself from the project...

Jim, for me, its a far better decision than some of the scars I have that I didn't choose the get! You should see the state of my knees! Atleast with a tattoo its something nice looking! The only people I know who regret tattoos are people with their partners name or just generally rubbish small flash work done with no thought.

Dave, as a person covered in tattoos, who should probably stop listening to my tattooist when he says I'd like to make it bigger, I always say, think long and hard about why, then worry about what.

All of mine are reminders, which means I have never committed to a sleeve, I just keep adding to the disaster, knowing that my tattooist knows I am looking towards full coverage on my arms and has a plan in there somewhere.

Ink It Up

Just Good Tattoos

mrp2049 said:
You should see the state of my knees!
Now now, mrp, we don't need to hear what you get up to on a Friday night! But yeah I see what you mean. I've thought about what I'd have done but I think I'd really need something I wanted to commemorate to make it meaningful. Nothings happened to me yet to deserve that IMO. Things have happened, but nothing I'd want to commemorate on my skin. Maybe I'll re-think it once I get my 1st Dan, i might feel like getting one for that.

Sounds like a good reason to me!

I will say in my defence, years of skating make one hell of a mess of your knees.

Im thinking that rather than concentrating on an image to represent me as a graphic designer, why not a sleeve which encompasses everything I hold dear to me created in the style of a designer who influenced me massively.

Did any one see the Big Bang Theory episode on TV where they went to a Goth Night with roll on arm 'sleeves' that they put on their arms! Cool

29714.jpg

A nice little story from David:

I have always wanted a tattoo. The problem is that I have always considered people who get tattoos as sheep. Especially those that go in and order number fourteen off the wall of a dolphin for example.

People who have tattoos of dolphins are, without exception, uneducated, cheap and blonde. I decided that if I was going to be a sheep and get a tattoo, there was only one choice of tattoo to be permanently branded with.

I kind of had this idea that the tattoo place would be full of bikers who would try to sell me drugs (which i would have bought) and then take it in turns to bash me while Metallica played in the background. Or something like that, but the place was spotlessly clean, the environment relaxing and the guy who did my tattoo (Michael) both amused and amusing.

cutme200000times_03b.jpg

Romack said:
The problem is that I have always considered people who get tattoos as sheep. Especially those that go in and order number fourteen off the wall of a dolphin for example.

my tattooist doesn't have a 'flash' book for this exact reason!

Romack said:
A nice little story from David:

I have always wanted a tattoo. The problem is that I have always considered people who get tattoos as sheep. Especially those that go in and order number fourteen off the wall of a dolphin for example.

People who have tattoos of dolphins are, without exception, uneducated, cheap and blonde. I decided that if I was going to be a sheep and get a tattoo, there was only one choice of tattoo to be permanently branded with.

I kind of had this idea that the tattoo place would be full of bikers who would try to sell me drugs (which i would have bought) and then take it in turns to bash me while Metallica played in the background. Or something like that, but the place was spotlessly clean, the environment relaxing and the guy who did my tattoo (Michael) both amused and amusing.

cutme200000times_03b.jpg

Nice story - who's David?

And... is that... <gasp> Helvetica?

leelovesbikestoo said:
Nice story - who's David?

And... is that... <gasp> Helvetica?

check out www27bslash6.com

pretty cool and enjoyable stories from a designer over in Australia

Back