Taking the plunge... going freelance.

I agree - I spend at least 50% of my week either chasing invoices, sending invoices, supplying quotes or thinking of ways to generate new business.

Designmatic said:
Cheers Berry and BigDave for confirming what I've thought all along – that sound financial and business sense is as important to a successful design business as creativity.

There seems to be two distinct trains of thought on this thread...the usual business approach and the 'I'm a designer and I shouldn't have to think about boring stuff like finance and profits'.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the admin side is an important aspect of being a freelancer, but i wouldn't agree that getting an accountant asap is necessarily the best step. If you're slowly building up a body of work/clients the accounts side is something you can sort out yourself. When you do get an accountant later on it'll set you in good stead to know what they're all about. No point paying someone to do your books when there's not much money coming in.

A lot would depend if you're a sole trader or limited company, VAT registered etc.
But just because you have an accountant - doesn't mean you are paying for him. You will only need his advice and support till the end of year returns. Find a good one early.

Your local graphic design association will have alot of free resources for you.

AGIA in the USA
D&AD in UK
AGDA in Australia. (where I am)

There is also an assortment of blogs out there to help noobs like yourself.

I agree with another commentor, get a good accountant as soon as you can afford it.

Always ask for money upfront with new clients.
Always write a written brief and get the client to agree to it before you start.
Always put in a project timeline.
Always HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the input everyone... it's been taken on board! Think with most of the questions i have, actually getting the experience will provide the answers.

Well Done! It's a big jump to go out on your own! Depending on where you are AIGA in the USA have some good standard contracts.

I have a design brief on my blog that you are welcome to lift and use for yourself if you need too. Best to do any brief face to face if you can. You will build rapport with your client that way.

Get paid upfront - unless it is a large corporate.

How do you work out timescales for a job? Depends on the job. I would take the initiative and lead the client through the timescale where possible to set yourself up for success and give yourself a life.

Hope that helps! Let us know how you go!

Back