Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sync-ing with Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Nov 2, 2009.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I have been a Outlook user now for a while and wondered something about it that has been driving me mad for the last few weeks. Ok I bought a brand new laptop six months ago as i travel here there and everywhere when I can (I like to travel around, just me and the car at the moment.) Anyway, I now have my PC set backup and am continously updating my email's and contact's in outlook on both PC and Laptop.

When I was at the MOD I took care of operating and maintaing the Outlook Exchange Server which synced outlook where ever i sign on, on the network. So the only way to sync I am guessing is by some sort of device inbetween the laptop and pc so when i log on the newly added information is pulled down, is this correct. Any information on this would be great.

Thanks

2. charles

charles Senior Member

maybe add desktop shortcuts to mailbox.pab and .pst and any other files needed and send em across network.. not a quick way of doing it tho....

another way would be to use something like:

http://www.primasoft.com/ftp.htm

to auto upload to tinterweb then access it wherever

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

theres the software approach - ie something like synchpst
    using imap (for email only) or when using pop set one pc up so it leaves a copy on the server and then use the other pc to download completely later on.
    theres the folder sync where you sync the pst file although not sure how well it would work if you download on both pc's during the time frame
    Use thunderbird which iirc has a plugin to sync between more than one machine.

4. glenwheeler

yeah i thought of both idea's not really ideal, i might aswell just keep transferring using USB.

5. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I didn't know you where with the MOD Glen.
    Where did you work?
    I was down at Larkhill Salisbury Plain for a while.

6. glenwheeler

Yes, I was at the MOD for 3 years working in Catterick Garrison. I have been down your way a few times. Spent a few weeks at Aldershot doing some network training too. Quite enjoyed my time there.

7. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Was that as a Graphics Officer?

8. glenwheeler

no I was an IT Manager, I dealt with MOD networks, exchange servers, security etc. As I was based in catterick I was also given work on promotions for new families that moved to the area. So I designer flyers and leaflets for "things to do" in Catterick and the surround area. I got to know a lot of people at the job including the guy below.

Me doing a presentation on future IT Plans (bad bad bad photo quality!)
    http://www.glenwheeler.co.uk/me1.JPG

Me and William Hague (About 3 years ago)
    http://www.glenwheeler.co.uk/me2.bmp

9. Levi

glen did you consider my ideas?

10. glenwheeler

Sorry Levi I never even saw that post, I missed it! That seems really interesting. Going to try that right now!

11. glenwheeler

ok this seems to be the best way up to now! Got it going quite well..

12. Levi

which way I did kind of mention 4 options :p

13. glenwheeler

syncpst seems to be working great

14. bluecube

bluecube Member

Hi Glen,

If I have understood your question correctly you could move your mail provider to a service like gmail who offer IMAP mail service, this means that googles servers are a central point of reference and your laptop and PC sync contacts and mail via google servers.

If you need some more info / help settingthis up let me know.

Regards

Nathan

15. glenwheeler

Hi Nathan,

I understand that but I dont really want to go down that road. I own my own domain names which sit on a mail server in Manchester. Thanks for that though mate.