Study Assignment: Photomedia Project feedback required.

pschol

7f37b7_fbe90ee015524aa19405e143b6655179~mv2.jpg

Looking for feedback on my photo media project final concept!

The Brief
A flagship tourism company wants to employ a photographer to create an image that is an iconic representation of Sydney to use as a postcard. The objective is to find a creative way to incorporate the word ‘Sydney’ into this image.

The Target Audience
The image must appeal to tourists and therefore, it must demonstrate the attractiveness of the city.

My Final Design
As you can see, I used a technique called light painting to write the word SYDNEY in the shot itself. I used my own mobile phone torch to achieve the desired effect. I considered using practical effects to be more eye catching in a photo media project than digital effects in this instance and thought it would also be more provoking from a tourists perspective.

The development process and feedback received allowed me to not only short list the locations to choose from but also conceptualise the most appropriate approach (eg, digitally add as a reflection on water, use light painting techniques etc). This process also allowed me to identify which shots offer could be considered relatable to people who have never been to Sydney.

In post processing the only manipulation required was to enhance the colour, exposure and composition of the final image

72dpi (safe for web)
RGB colour and in Jpeg
50kb or below in size
Web only, not for print

I wouldn't know it was Sydney if it weren't for the opera house in the background, which at postcard size and in that dim lighting is easy to miss. I've never been to Sydney and I don't know if that bridge is iconic or representative of the city, but I certainly recognise the opera house and suspect my fellow Limeys would too. This probably isn't an image I'd pick up and want to purchase as a memento to be honest. What other options or concepts did you have?

Back