Studio setup - tip / advice please

Oikos

Hi All,
I'm a graphic designer just setting up a studio at home, the room's approx 2.5 x 3m with good lighting (large window with spotlights)

Firstly, would you recommend dual monitors or 1 large one? I am used to dual but need to upgrade what I have.
These will run off my laptop as I need to be mobile and can't afford a laptop and tower!

Secondly, what other advice / tips can you give me please?
So far I have shelves (full of inspiration and my prized boxed original Etch a Sketch!), a desk and comfy chair.....what do you have in your studios that you wouldn't be without?

Thanks in advance

You work in whatever way works best for you....
It really is that simple imo.

For me, aside from the obvious things, I have to have music around. I always have a bass close by, so if I have one of those days, I can just stop for ten minutes and play, to vent any frustrations or clear my head. Also, when I am not in thinking mode and just doing, I will usually have some music playing. It always gets the creative juices flowing, for me. That said, I know people who need to have complete silence to function. I only need that when I’m thinking about problems and wanting to come up with ideas.

As Levi says, it’s whatever suits. You just need to make it a place where you can get your creative juices flowing.

I also need books close at hand. Not just subject-specific reference books. Just having books around fires me up. Seeing books I’ve previously read that I found inspirational just helps open pathways up.

Finally, somewhat counter-intuitively; a bed! If I need to come up with an idea. I will think about and around it and then just go sleep for ten minutes. Those moments when you are waking up is when I find all the thinking pulls itself together in my subconscious and the lateral ideas I need begin to pop up.

There are no rules. I used to work in a studio that was in an old church. It had a mezzanine floor with a table tennis table, so you could just go play, for exactly the same reasons as I sleep and play bass. it is intended to put your head into a space where you allow your subconscious mind to play.

Find whatever it is that does that for you.

A desk and chair might help too!

Thanks @sprout, love it - will definitely invest in some good speakers (and headphones....sadly the neighbours are a bit close!)
A bed would be dangerous for me, think I'd actually turn nocturnal. Frustratingly my creative juices get going as I'm trying to go to sleep and I have to keep a sketchpad by the bed :ROFLMAO:

Back