Students, How do you keep yourself motivated? I need some help

kjparker

Hello everyone, my name is kieran, i am a university student and i am need of some motivation tips. I love graphic design, I love being given new and exiting briefs, the problem is i dont have much motivation, I want to succeed I want to be the best I can be but I slack and dont give 150% and looking back on my previous year i know if I gave it my all I would have work 5x better easily.

Any tips or advice to someone who is going through an odd stage of lazyness with university work?

Im not generally lazy this second year of uni just seemed to take it out of me :/

Thanks

Get a few work placements. Getting up in the morning and going to work in a professional creative environment might give you the inspiration/kick up the arse you need.

Get a few work placements. Getting up in the morning and going to work in a professional creative environment might give you the inspiration/kick up the arse you need.

That sounds like it could work, it will give me something to look forward to after i finally finish university. Only problem is right now, everyone has applied for work placements in graphic design in my area not sure if i will get a placement this term. but definetly something i will attempt thank you!

It's still worth applying, a placement is likely what will lead you to a job when you graduate, so start making friends now. Try and find studios that you like, rather than the first 5 on a Google search results page. Maybe even try further afield. A different city? Maybe even a different country. A girl in my class had trouble getting a placement, but managed to secure one in Barcelona quite easily, simply because she had the balls to ask (and studios seem to like taking on foreign students who can potentially bring something different to their creative space).

Everyone slack's off at university (the system's pretty much set up to allow for that, isn't it?) - you just need sufficient discipline to hose yourself down and step up on the occassions which matter.

Also, not being a candidate on The Apprentice, I can't say I've never given 150%.

Back