Strange thing happening in the footer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrismitchell

Can anyone tell me why the footer looks good on Safari on my Mac and IE and Firefox on my Parallels on my Mac, but on a PC it throws itself right by 40px or something like that... seems very odd.. (and yes its all built in Wordpress :D)

WCA2012 | Buenos Aires | March 25 - 30, 2012

thanks in advance everyone :D

Don't know why ( there's a surprise) but thought I'd let you know it's to the right on my mac in firefox too...

Picture15-1.png

hmmm even strangerer... I must have some sort of margin-right or something set incorrectly, I just don't know where :confused:

Good advice from Tom there, remember, It's always in the last place you look :lol:

Just so you know and to confuse you a little more, it's to the right in Safari on my Mac.

oh for f***s sake :( It looks ok on mine :( boooooo :(

Ok need Harry to come along and tell me how to fix this :)

chrismitchell said:
oh for f***s sake :( It looks ok on mine :( boooooo :(

Ok need Harry to come along and tell me how to fix this :)

Sounds like the problem is your mac, you should get a new one and try that.

As an aside, I can't wait till the Avatars change in Feb, apart from Anon's above this is one scary thread! :D

I think you should remove the 370px margin-left on it and instead put the footer inside the container. Im pretty sure this will fit the problem.

For some reason the images in the footer are fixed so it appears to the right in firefox, mac too.

I had a quick look at your css in firebug and I'm afraid things are screwed and you'll need to go back and sort it out: use this as a basis Andy Budd::Blogography: CSS Crib sheet #3 - Centering a Div and give your #main and #footer div the same values as the wrapper in the example (changing the width to your desired width), and then go through the other elements and take off all the funny margins and paddings that are there.

I'd also suggest removing all paddings that you have at the mo and instead position things with just margins and position:relative and position:absolute, look at this especially point 4: Learn CSS Positioning in Ten Steps: position static relative absolute float using a container with position set to relative you can then set the inner element with position absolute and have it positioned anywhere in that container - very useful!

I recommend using firebug for doing this it will make life easier for you.

Ahh welcome to the world of web building, doesn't it suck. I have the margin in Safari on the mac but the footer is in an absolute position the rest of the page appears to have an auto margin left and right (centred). resize your browser window and you will see. The footer needs the same float properties as the rest of the page.

thanks Mike :p :lol:

It seems to be a bit better at least on my firefox.. but for some reason, when I pull the window of the browser larger and smaller the footer stays in one place but the rest moves... what the hell have i done :confused:

:lol:

I know, somehow it's like it's got fixed positioning on it but it hasn't. You can fix it by this:
in style.css:

body {
background-color:#FFFFFF;
color:#000000;
font-family:Arial;
font-size:11px;
line-height:16px;
min-width:750px;
padding:0;
text-align:center;
}

#main {
margin:0 auto;
text-align:left;
width:750px;
}

#footer {
font-family:Arial;
font-size:10px;
margin:0 auto;
}

.container {
min-height:550px;
position:relative;

}
#header {
padding-bottom:20px;
padding-top:20px;
}

.mini_portfolio_item {
background-color:#FFFFFF;
margin-bottom:12.5px;
min-height:230px;
padding-left:20px;
padding-right:30px;
padding-top:10px;
position:relative;
width:700px;
}

This will get you to a point, it will bugger up some other things but they are minor things compared to how it was. Do that then I'll help you fix the rest if you want

Very happy with that.. can someone see if it works in IE7 as I just tested IE7 and IE6 and they looked wrong.. does this mean i'll have to build ruddy IE specific css files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back