Strange Google Ranking

61pixels

Just thought I'd toss this out there as it makes absolutely no sense to me.

So a month ago, I was #6 on google for a search on "Todd Adams" (minus the quotes).

About 2 weeks ago, I was #1.. Yay! I was number 1 on my machine, and others machines. The #1 lasted a day. The next day I was back to #6 on my machine, but friends said I still showed as #1 to them.

Today I'm at #5 on my machine.

Does this make sense to anyone? Why would I go to #1 one day, then the next drop back to where I was previously?

On another note, with the same search term as above... A site comes up that I did code, but there is absolutely no reference to my name anywhere in the HTML, or image names. Why in the world does the site come up then when searching for me?

#6 for me on google.com
#5 on google.com.au
i dunno on google.fr
i dunno on google.ie
i dunno on google.nl
#9 on google.be

can't find you on search.live.com

#7 on uk.ask.com

no idea why of course, just thought you'd want some more understanding of the differences.

Thanks Tim, your findings seem consistent with my current.. Still no clue why one day I was #1...

I just checked live.com for the first time myself. I'm on page 3... But the version it has is over a month old when it was just a coming soon page. Apparently Microsoft doesn't crawl very often :)

oh right fair does. i don't think my site is even listed with "timmp".

i'm stoofed with "Tim Pennington" because of Ty Pennington, millions of results for the surname.

Hey at least you show up on page 1 on google! I'm showing you as number 5 in the US google. Some weird photographer with an ugly site is number 1...go figure.

I have a recommendation though todd...to push yourself up a bit, I noticed everything above you has Todd Adams listed first and foremost...maybe you should rearrange your title to say: "Todd Adams | Online Portfolio of Orlando Web Designer | 61pixels.com" and see where that gets you.

Vertigo you are a mind-reader. I thought EXACTLY the same thing earlier today. That "Todd Adams Photography and Travel" has been there for years too. I'm not an "expert" by any means with Google, but since you and I both noticed the same thing, I guess it can't hurt to try rearranging it!

"Todd Adams Online Portfolio - Orlando Web Designer | 61pixels.com" Let's see where that gets me :)

This may be a punch at the sky (for use of a better phrase) but could it be that your friends have "accidentally" clicked the "add a result" on the .com google search page?

At the bottom there is a link that says "add a result" and if you click this, insert the website it stays at the top of the page.

Phil I don't think that is it because even on my machine it showed #1 for a day and I never did that. I did just ask two of the friends though, and they both had no idea you could even manually add results. I think I'll just chalk it up to google being flakey that day.

Back