Stickforlife.co.uk - Branding

NE14HOCKEY

Hi Folks,

I'm in the early stages of building a site for a Male aimed Cancer Research (race for life based) event called stick for life involving playing hockey in fancy dress in aid of charities around the world.

Basically the idea is hockey events would be arranged world wide to take place on a single day of the year with each event selecting their own cancer charity to raise funds for.

I'm trying to come up with a logo, I this one but would like to hear some opinions on it.

Thanks

well there is the hockey stick in the black heart... its not an easily recognised shape within the general public, so I didn't want to over do it. I also want it to be intriguing enough to make people want to know more about it....

Your Avatar logo is the one you should go with, it's simple and memorable, the others graphics with the other hearts are too busy and superflous.

The typography is poor and is just a run of dated trixy typefaces. Green and blue...bit garish

I have to be honest here, the solution is nearly there, all the elements are there, but I don't think you will crack it as it needs a decent brand designer to put the iceing on the cake for you. You don't truly understand typography, branding and corporate identity, ( no offense intended)
I would ask or PM br3n to spend 30 minutes out of the kindness of his heart to just to slot the ball home for you to sort the brand icon and the namestyle out for you. I'm sure he would do it.... or someone on the forum would gladley help you out and art direct the final stage.A good designer knows when the job is finished.

Berry said:
Your Avatar logo is the one you should go with, it's simple and memorable, the others graphics with the other hearts are too busy and superflous.

I would but NE14HOCKEY (although we will be running stickforlife) is a separate entity, I think S4L will need its own identity, like race for life.

Berry said:
I have to be honest here, the solution is nearly there, all the elements are there, but I don't think you will crack it as it needs a decent brand designer to put the iceing on the cake for you. You don't truly understand typography, branding and corporate identity, ( no offense intended)

Ouch. I'm a developer at heart, I think the department I really lack in is the GD skills to put the elements together in the best way possible.

I'd feel a bit cheeky having only made 3 posts to start asking people to take time away from their stuff to help me out :eek:

Hey Hockey,

If you need anything I am here to help also, most of the guys round here are pretty neat with logo's, as berry said Br3n is one of the better ones.

Few comments I'd like to make there on the logo.

That green you are using is very out dated and something that would only be used on something like a paintballing site. Its too bright in my opinion something along the lines of a #60b802 or #4eb409 would be nicer. I am not a huge fan of green to be honest but if I was to use a green it would be something close to that.

Second comment would again be about the fonts you are using. You need something a little more bold and professional looking. Maybe A font thats bold and a font thats thin to separate the wording. I like the logo itself just needs a little work I guess

What are you designing the logo in? ie software package...

NE14HOCKEY said:
Ouch. I'm a developer at heart, I think the department I really lack in is the GD skills to put the elements together in the best way possible.

I'd feel a bit cheeky having only made 3 posts to start asking people to take time away from their stuff to help me out :eek:

Always find the shortest route to goal, it's more effective and wastes less energy.

Shy bairns get no chocolate. There are some decent guys here who will offer their time for genuine people in need of a quick hand to solve a problem.You say you're a Developer, and not a designer. It's obvious you need a helping hand. Over to the Forum.....

Also so you know, 3 posts or 3000 posts, I think the majority of people here would be willing to help someone who has come here, with an idea that he has thought through, formulated and process, with the aim of getting critique. You haven't spammed, you havent expected alot from anyone.

Maybe look at colours used for cancer research. The blue especially, I'm not any where near being a logo designer so wouldnt be much better than your attempts, but I'm sure you'll find someone :)

I would help out but honestly logos are my weakest weakest area and Im pretty sure someone more handy will offer... if not i could try?!

br3n said:
I would help out but honestly logos are my weakest weakest area and Im pretty sure someone more handy will offer... if not i could try?!

You underestimate yourself, but, here's a gauntlet............

But seriously, there are loads of members with a genuine heart who 'could' if they have time, help you out. I like people who are straight and don't try to pull the wool. Most guys with an hour spare could fix it quite quickly. If you were spam we'd have ate you already.

If push comes to shove I could always shove it into the Creative dept if no one fancies it. ( My son used to play Hockey and I spent 8 years up and down the A1 most weekend taking him to North of England or Yorkshire League tournaments as a parent ). thank God he's discovers Xbox!

Ok, my 2 cents, male aimed, why are there so many hearts?

Lets get big and OTT!

Think NBA, NFL, rugby league style fun and games!

l_1eaf1362feb6417e9504c7db2a8477fe.jpg

Thats an good example of what I'm thinking.

PM me.

I'm going to be honest, none of those actually do anything for me. I would never have associated that logo with hockey, you say theres a hockey stick in the design but if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have realised. I've always seen hockey sticks as being ground level, you get a high stick warning if its like the image you've used iirc (been years since I played a bit of hockey).

Is there a reason that you picked those colours?

Also as there is no fixed cancer charity (or any reference to a charity for that matter) is it really a good idea to use a shapet which most people would associate with the heart and assume that the topic of the logo relates in the same way? Plus it is a little feminine as has been mentioned.

And as a side note, the first image that popped into my head when I was reading the explanation was using a hockey stick for the L in life and perhaps using the dot on the i as a ball, and maybe the shaft of the i as a 'motion' line to give that feeling of motion/action that could portray the fun/gaming side of the charity/logo. The problem is when I think about it a little more is it maybe too clichéd for a charity logo.

Berry said:
Is that a Guild acoustic?

are guilds that arse heavy?

I thought Martin Dreadnoughts were the only thing that had the Sir Mixalot effect!

Back on topic, if you want to PM me your email I'll try and help!

Here's a couple of super quick ideas I had after reading through this thread, not sure if they have potential or not, but was looking at ways you could combine two hockey sticks to give the heart shape...

stickforlife.png

Top left is good Greg, subtly suggests the heart.

br3n said:
By the looks of your portfolio you're better than you think Bren.

logo.jpg

Back