Stickforlife.co.uk - Branding

Well you see its 2 events at the same venue on the same weekend, so the intial focus points in the red at the top or bottom........

Then the text immediately above below gives a bit more detail about whichever title caught your eye moving you to the center where it clarifies, when where and why and how to find out more information?

What colour should I use instead?

Hay I normally don't give members below 50 posts this much help, but I do running for cancer research due to it being an issue close to my heart, and I love running, so I'll make an exception. Personally I think the current site has lost it's way. If you have kids the episode of Handy Many where he makes a sign for Sherman's shoe shop really comes to mind. As you might have guessed he puts shelves up to better show off the shoes rather than just building him a sign as thats his main problem as no-one can find the shoes they want, he's a nice guy that Many, but it is so relevant, in this case information not shoes but the principles the same. :)

I look at it and think right I don't know what this site is lets see if I can work it out in 4 seconds or less, it then loads and even with roughly knowing what it's about I still have no idea really. You need to sort out your information scent on your home page as you have too many things saying look at me, look at me I want your attention and as a result they all lose mine due to me having no idea where my eye should be looking. You need to plan to direct the users eye from the off to follow "scents".

So if I want to login in, how obvious is it?
Why a link, why not direct from the page?
How can I register?
Well it should be near the login in right, where's the login again, o yeah a tiny link in the top left, not an obvious form in the top right, or centre, take DF prime example easy to use and find.
How do I search for a local event close to me?
Whats it about?
How can I find sponsorship forms blar, blar, blar.
So many sites, even the big one's still mess it up, your not alone.

The home page should be more of a brochure's cover giving you a rough idea of what's in the brochure it shouldn't be the actual brochure.
Race for life pulls this off brilliantly IMO, I know exactly where I should be looking from the off and that I may be in the wrong place as I'm a man.

But personally I would go with something more like this using Gregs very good, none scissor looking, logo, thought the bottom one's resemble scissors, well to me anyway :) ~
delete.png

Bare in mind it looks like it was done in 10mins because it was, and I know things don't line up and stuff but from a first glance I can see by the tag line alone what it is about, I can then login easily and things are just more easy to find as every things not competing for space.

There would be a lot I would change but hopefully it gives you some idea to how to sort out your scent better. :)

version_xxx.gif

I know its almost totally based on the raceforlife but I'm sure CRUK won't mind as they are the charity we're raising the 10k for ...

It's definitely a move in the right direction. :)
Add a tag line, really helps new users know what the site is quicker. Race for life don't now as they are only geared up for female running events I may spend some time there before I find out I'm in the wrong place, the design helps but it's not definitive. A tag line thus helps to qualify to your user your site is about at a glance. They then spend less time working it out and more time on your site. Take into account the average time a user spends on any given web page is 10 seconds and you will lose 58% of visitors after just 2 page loads you don't want them spending an extra 3 or 4 seconds saying right is this for male hockey, female hockey, ice hockey, field hockey, street hockey or a combination with both genders allowing to play.

U now have 6 seconds left of an average users attention span to see if they are interested. A tag line would give you, depending on other factors, those few seconds back.

But from a basic layout it is definitely better, personally I would check to make sure they are okay with it just because you are raising money for them they may not be especially if they paid for a unique design.

Keep us updated when you have a completed layout. :)

Not sure about the top left image looks too cliparty to me TBH, I would still be careful about using a similar design though.

Back