Statistics to prove people use web more than print directories/ads to find businesses

bamme

Hi all

This sounds stupid but I actually cant find this anywhere. I need some stats to prove more people are using the web to find businesses/services than using the yellow pages..

And/or more people respond to web marketing comms than print ads..

And/or how many people use the internet every day in the uk

Its basically for a sales letter, that I want to begin with

"[large percentage here] use the Internet rather than the Yellow Pages.
[percentage] access the internet every day.
[percentage] more people respond to web advertising than print advertising."

Does anyone know where I can find stats for this?

Hi Emma,

I think it might be hard to find specific stats for the Yellow Pages, you could show some Google trends stats for related searches over the last 10 years, or more generalised stats about the growth of ecommerce online?

As to the Yellow Pages specifically, a quick search through recent news articles about the company will probably paint quite a clear picture of the decline of their traditional printed directory books - Yell Group - Telegraph

Is the sales letter to a specific company/industry? May be able to help find stats if it is.
Greg

P.S. Hope you don't mind but moved this thread to the Business section, although doesn't sit well in any specific forum thought this one was best.

this any good :)

There's also a slight grey area with using yellow pages as a reference, this is often bought in a package that has paper AND online ad's.

Got to say I haven't personally looked in a yellow pages (or bt for that matter) for years, looked in out local directories (thompson and 'pink') though.

Thanks guys :)

Well, I was in a meeting earlier with the company im working for at the moment. It's really not my place to reword their sales letter at all.

But theyre targeting tiny little businesses for this particular 'cheap websites' campaign, and I mean people they find in the freeads and stuff, with no url, and an @aol.com email address or something.

I read the letter which is all nice but nowhere does it actually express the importance of WHY they should have a site - theyve done without one for the last ..5/10 years or whatever it is, why get one now? 'just to look up to date' isnt enough really, i wouldnt spend a tenner on something i didnt see why id need... that might be just me but.. yo uget the idea.

The letter is in laymans terms and is meant to be in laymans terms. The focus is on the very cheap price. I want to maintain that focus, and not baffle people with craploads of stats about search engines and other stuff, just some clean, quick one sentence facts about stuff they do know about/can relate to - traditional marketing.

So, I thought this little sentence structure in my example to start the letter off, would at least make these non-internet-using, probably-non-computer-owning people think "oh. so thats why i should have a website. better get one then.." then, despite whether or not they read on this time, they have that in their head, so that when a followup letter goes out, theyll take a bit more notice of "Hey have a cheap website etc"

It doesnt need to be yellow pages specifically, but i feel it should be a simple statistic they can understand. So for example, business phone directories in general. Nothing about google, or any specific web function, just.. "the web".

And these letters have to remain generic - I'm sure itd be easier to find a quantitative statistic on one industry in specific but it should be easy enough to find a quantitative stat comparing web usage/marketing to print.. but .. it isnt. Except if you wanna look at stuff from 2005..!

Frustrating!

Hi Emma,

For more general stats it's probably worth checking the UK National Statistics site:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/iahi0810.pdf

- 30.1 million adults used the Internet every day or nearly every day, almost double the estimate in 2006
- 31 million people bought or ordered goods or services online in the last 12 months
- 73 per cent of households had Internet access

Lots more reports, data & stats here: Search Results: UK National Statistics Publication Hub but may take a bit of digging!

HTH
Greg

Back