Starting out in the industry

Jimlad said:
That sentence being said these days would get a similar reaction to saying "Then I slew a dragon and became rich from its hoard"
Even in the realms of utter fantasy, it's quite a feat.

I hear that. I found it impossible to find work straight out of college myself and that was in 1999. I suppose there is a bit of luck involved in being in the right place at the right time, if one believes in that sort of thing. Course, I have yet to have that kind of luck in my life.

yes, I love the banter between Typo and Jim.:D

I worked through university to pay for it so I guess I was lucky to get some sort of working experience while studying :)

I did that too. But I don't think working weekends in a local shop counts as the same kind of thing. :p

I have been working for various companies over 5 years doing design and I don't feel I needed to go to uni, my gf is currently studying graphics at uni it seems interesting but I learnt more by working than I think I would at uni.

People only get better by making mistakes and learning from them....

You need to get a START in working before you can learn anything from working.
Right now that's hard enough even WITH the qualifications.

just a side note, but in order to get anywhere at first you need a thick skin, or an inflamed sense of self confidence, the latter worked for me ;)

Yeah I suppose at first you need to learn to let go of what you create, and let other people rip it apart and look at it objectively. If you don't do that very quickly and early on, you just won't last.

Back