Starting out in the industry

jamieleung said:
At my uni we have one lesson a week on web development and this is the very basic html/css most of which I was able to learn out of uni hours, but lets just say my code is rather untidy and having these basic lessons in html/css is fantastic. You learn something new everyday ;) however I doubt we'll ever touch upon html5, css3, jquery,php etc..

I was fortunate to work alongside a designer whilst studying my A Levels, this gave me a good portfolio to take for my uni interview which helped a lot, also done freelance work. But at the end of the day I doubt an employer would consider employing me if I did not have a degree.

Hi Jamie,

I think it depends which way you want to go, I think for a more traditional graphic/print designer position, a degree on the CV is definitely a requirement for the majority of agencies, where as web design/front end development, I would argue that a decent portfolio of sites you've worked on could be more important than a related degree.

Greg

Harry said:
I've learnt more in three years on my own than I ever would have done at uni. I'm 19 and know more about what I do than 90% of graduates. That's not necessarily cos I'm good, it's cos uni is ****.

Also, if I were at uni now I'd be in my second year. I wrote a document that Newcastle uni currently use to teach their students. If I'd accepted the course I applied for at Newcastle, I'd literally be teaching myself.

I can totally agree to this Mate. I've been to uni and done it and it was utter dog ****

I recently applied into a college for a New Media course. It's not over-the-top expensive, but I hope it's at least worth the money. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the work placement, that should help me get some contacts in the business.

Goodluck Onatris.

The thing about the design industry is there isn't an actual "qualification" to make it into work for the premium design houses. But good grades and some qualifications may help.

hey im currently in my second year of uni and i totally understand what ur feeling! but it seems nowadays you have to have a degree to be taken seriously!! the best thing to do is try sort out some work experience over the summer or something thats what im trying to do and everyone ive spoken to has said that its the biggest learning curve and from what other ppl have said on here in the industry is the best way to learn!! just make sure you can get as much as you can from ur time at uni!!

Betty

Betty said:
hey im currently in my second year of uni and i totally understand what ur feeling! but it seems nowadays you have to have a degree to be taken seriously!! the best thing to do is try sort out some work experience over the summer or something thats what im trying to do and everyone ive spoken to has said that its the biggest learning curve and from what other ppl have said on here in the industry is the best way to learn!! just make sure you can get as much as you can from ur time at uni!!

Betty

I think more people are beginning to find they need work experience to be taken seriously, it's really odd. I assumed a graphic design degree would take people along way to getting most junior positions, but it would seem that even as a junior designer (or whatever else) they expect experience.

ah uni that great time where when you leave you have this lovely catch 22 situation. Employers want juniors to work with them at the cheaper rates but usually also want a year (or more) work experience, leaving the student thinking I can do that job but I don't have experience, how am I supposed to get experience if you always want someone with experience!!!

DON'T GET ME STARTED on that situation, I had 3 years of it after I left uni!

It's worse now, even bar and office jobs ask for something daft like 2 years experience.

I personally think the degree isn't everything

I went to college straight from school did a GNVQ in A&D.

Then I found a job straight from college - I learnt a lot of the industry based skills here.

After a few years I decided I wanted to expand my qualifications so I went back to college on the day release to do my HND / HNC I did this over 3 years part time.

To be honest I never really learnt a lot from these three years as you cannot beat the day in day out experience, but as said earlier in this thread today its a lot harder today to get the chance.

Nick Garrish said:
Then I found a job straight from college

That sentence being said these days would get a similar reaction to saying "Then I slew a dragon and became rich from its hoard"
Even in the realms of utter fantasy, it's quite a feat.

Back in the day this is what I did....college (OND/HND) then the big bad world.
Took about 4 months. My mate went for an interview and I tagged along...end up I got the job.

That was back in '87. Been at it since.

Yeah remind me never to let you know when I have an interview Hoggy.
Christ 87... I was 4 years old when you got started! I was probably drawing too.

Coffin dodger!
(It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in!)

Back