Starting a new job at Kall Kwik, any thoughts?

Rwilliams21

Hey folks

Just a quick message. I start at Kall Kwik as a printer/designer with 20% of the work will be actual design. I was told by the manager that the company is recognised by the design/print industry as a good company and will prove useful on the CV and work experience. Anyone members worked or have any thoughts about Kall Kwik?

May Thanks

Rich

:icon_cheers:

Hi

I've heard of Kall Kwik, and I think they're reputable in some places, but as far as I'm aware, they're only in selected places. I would say they're a very very very very miniture version of Printing.com...And yes, they are slightly like Prontaprint.

My only gripe about about this company is that when I telephoned for a couple of print examples, I was greeted my moaning, fussing and hesitance! Poor customer service basically!

Saying that though, a friend did a one-week work placement in the design section, and gave the impression that it was a good place to work!

I can't really see it being bad for your CV though, as long as you do some designing/printing, and can develop as many other skills as possible during your time there.

Hth & good luck

I know the name but don't know much about them. Was some bits in Print Week about legal issues / franchisees. May be worth a Google.

I believe they are digital only, could be wrong (usually am!).

Best wishes and hope all goes well.

wow, thanks for the quick replies. yeah its pretty much a high street printing shop with litho and digtal printers with two mac in the back for designing if need be. i worked in a hotel for 3 days last week busting my ball for next to nothing so im so glad i got this position.

To response of bad customer service, thats a universal thing, if people are grumpy and unhelpful then you know not to go back there again. These guys at the place im starting seem genuinely nice people.

They use QuarkXpress, so Ive got the trial version of Xpress 8. Any good tutorial or exercise website recommendations? I cant seem to find a website as good as the Tuts Plus site that is mostly Adobe CS.

Many Many Thanks X 100

:icon_cheers:

They are a franchise like Prontaprint (owned by the same company ODC) As with all franchises you will find that some are good and some are bad. . . each centre is individually owned. You will also find that some centres are only digital and some have litho. The better ones will have both and may have more than one centre under the same owner.

KallKwik and Prontaprint are taking a class action against ODC for non performance as a franchisor. Good luck to them! If they win it should not affect individual centres. If yours is a good one then it will do you no harm. And you would get a good taste of having to design to a budget and probably at speed!!

Good luck!

Hi,

Congratulations on your role!

Any experience is Good Experience, I think it would be good for you to go in and see what the company can offer in terms of the training and exposure to the design side. OK so initially your role will only be creative for 20% of the time, but you never know, it could lead to a more senior role where a lot more creative input is required.

Good luck!

I have heard of Kall Kwick and I have also had prints from them before - I think they're a very good company - quick and efficient - but I have only ever been to one branch and that was in Tamworth...

There's a small one in Hull which is quite good. Not always best great prices, but that shouldn't bother you seen as you're working there not paying for their print!

As others have said, they are franchises and therefore each one will be completely different because of the ownershop and the way they run their business.

Good luck :icon_thumbup:

Hi Rich

I've heard of Kall Kwik and I wouldn't say they are hugely credible in the design world but it depends who you are judging them against. That said there is an off shoot of KK called K Design that is producing good work with a range of clients. If its them that are put on your CV I'd say you're on to a good thing.

All that said you have to start somewhere so just work hard jump at every opportunity and try to stretch yourself and learn as much as you can.

I used to work at a Kall Kwik... They are all franchise stores with a head office in Ruislip (at the time I worked there). Good for a first job and some practical experience, and I got to do some K Design work too. So yes, good for your CV in my opinion. But don't stay longer than you have to - learn what you can and when that reaches it's limits, aim to move on.

Depending on the branch you're at, they deal with the whole range of print services.

Never understood why people would choose to use them from a customer point of view though - prices are always relatively high compared to online services and customer service is never great (though not too bad). It was very much a convenience and familiarity thing at the store I was I at - people wanted to deal with a person, and my manager was really good with the customers.

After many years of my no longer working for them, the store I was working at has now folded... I like to think it's because they couldn't cope without me :icon_cheers:

Which branch are you at?

Cheers

Doug

Any job doing something you want to do is a good job. If you are starting out in Graphic Design then its as good a place as any. My suggestion to you would be to get as much out of it as possible in terms of experience, learning CS4, how to deal with clients and working to deadlines as this will put you in a good place for your next design job.

Experience is everything in design. Without it, its very hard to get in. For myself i'd rather employ someone with 1 years experience in the design industry and with a good portfolio, than someone with a 1st degree Hons, no exp and a good portfolio.

Good luck my friend.

Back