Starbucks drops name in new logo

Dave1975

01_05_11_starbucks.jpg

Incase you've not seen it yet, Starbucks have unveiled a new logo, consisting of the familiar siren illustration, but no name or type.

BBC News - Starbucks drops its name and the word coffee from logo
The New StarbucksLogo - TheDieline.com - Package Design Blog
http://www.starbucks.com/preview

Smart move to diversify their product range? Or commercial suicide to drop their iconic name and star branding?

To be honest, I don't really recognise the symbol enough on its own. As long as they keep their name on their signs though, I doubt it will make much of a negative impact on their business.

Although their viral (cups in people hands) marketing could take a hit from it

I agree, Starbucks is too popular now for this to do any harm to their business but I can't understand their choice in removing their name as it's the name that people recognise, not the image. Before seeing this, I definitely wouldn't have connected this image with starbucks. I see how they might be trying to modernise and simplify their logo but I don't know why they'd want to, when they have an iconic and timeless brand already.

The idea is by dropping 'Starbucks' and 'Coffee' they can expand their brand and business into other areas besides coffee, I guess taking out 'coffee' and just leaving just starbucks would have left the logo un-balanced.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvS0Yk1KQkQ&feature=related]YouTube - STARBUCK boys wanna be her[/ame]

Starbucks coffee is totally over rated....it's just not strong enough!

I'll stick with the other Starbuck for now.

"Through the Starbucks Entertainment division and Hear Music brand, the company also markets books, music, and film. Many of the company's products are seasonal or specific to the locality of the store. Starbucks-brand ice cream and coffee are also offered at grocery stores."

You don't often see their logo away from their coffee shops anyway. When you do it might be on a styrofoam coffee cup. A coffee cup, so you put two and two together

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Design Forums, and I think that's where they're planning to expand the business - away from coffee cups :)

Not sure if I'm entirely correct here, but I seem to remember reading something about expanding more to non-English Speaking nations? Makes sense in some respects to do so...

Thoughts?

They're already in non-English speaking countries, and Starbucks is Starbucks regardless; their brand will travel across languages with ease…

At the same time the original/previous Starbucks logo with the stars did carry certain USA connotations, perhaps dropping the stars is for international benefit too?

Back