Star Trek Infographic

gcol90

Been meaning to get some critique on this for a while, but kept forgetting.
Whilst in university, we were doing work placement with a local internet marketing agency. A client had asked them to design a campaign to let American citizens, and those who were born in the US know of a legislation coming into play next year known as FATCA. The company then asked us students to design various pieces for them, and after speaking to them, they had decided they wanted to go down the route of using American pop-culture as the 'theme'.
I came up with an infographic based off Star Trek.
http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles23/1740649/projects/6805959/d45941e833797cef346da8b0a2212a7e.jpg
Just wondering what you guy's thought of it, design wise?

ends up being disappointed.... was expecting it to be styled like LCARS :(

seriously, you don't know what LCARS is and you've just done an infographic on star trek....
It's really one of the better known 'non person' characters from the show... it's the computer interface :rolleyes:

Ohhhhh I see. Yeah, I'm not exactly into Star Trek. I just know who the characters are from TOS... so I used them. Oh and the Enterprise, of course. I had to Google what the communicator looked like.
I just chose something I figured would be well known as being American, to be honest.

As you've asked for feedback on the design and not the intimate knowledge of the program, that's what I'll give ;)
Overall I have to say that it looks simply okay. It doesn't excite me and nothing really stands out. I'm not sure that background texture is working overly well and some of the text colours don't really look that great in the way you've used them. For example the black text, especially below the "40%" doesn't feel right. I think you could do a lot better with that illustration of.. whatever that is with the yellow, red and blue buttons in the centre.
It would also be nice to have a bit more detail on the bodies and faces. Currently they feel basic and rushed, some of the lines look a bit scratchy, such as the fringes, and you should re-visit those shoulders as you appear to have guillotined off a large portion of them!
I hope you will make some changes and come back to show us the new version! :)

Cheers for the feedback.
Yeah, the company I did it for were nitpicking so it ended up looking like the above as that's what they wanted. I did this in October/November and haven't touched it since, just was my first shot at an infographic, haven't tried one since. I think I used the eyedropper from a picture of Kirk to get the yellow, I can't really remember now. I like my illustration of the Star Trek logo though, did that on my iPad :D
I might retouch it and update it, I'm not sure. If I do, I'll be sure to repost it.
Hahaha, the thing with the buttons was supposed to be the communicator. I had an illustration of the hand sign Spock does but they wanted that.... so I made them a deckchair looking object.

Hey guy's,

I finally got round to adding those Star Trek guy's to a new infographic. Based on the same one as before, but wondering if I could get some crits etc on the design of it. I've pretty much nabbed all the info from the old infographic, and I still need to tidy up the sources bit, but I think am pretty much done.

What do you guy's reckon?

fatca-new-site-01.jpg

Nice work mate, especially love how the characters have ended up. As far as they are concerned there's very little for me to recommend improvement on.

As for the infographic, that's good too. However, I would suggest looking at the text element of it, it all looks very much the same and doesn't encourage me to carry on reading. Maybe that's just me being a spoiled designer though :)

I think you could also have put a couple more star trek references into the design, for example using the Star Trek badge (thing) as the map markers :)

Cheers man, been a bit busy with that branding work I was doing. Yeah, I'm happy with how they turned out, might tweak the colours on the hair though. Might be being a bit picky, but they show up weird on my iPad and phone and it's annoying me. Hmm, yeah see your point, will have a look at the text. Like the ST logo idea for the pins!

Back